Tires for complete rebuild

jferguson

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New guy here. Tore down my 30-ish year old go kart that is now my 9 year old's. I am putting 4 new tires on it. What came off were 15x6.00-6 tubeless turf tires. It will be used exclusively on paved streets now, so I was considering getting a different type of tire in that size. A couple options I saw were the golf cart tires with the ribs and then full slick tires in that size. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these options or at least steer me clear if any of this is a terrible idea? Thanks in advance.

Hi-Run Lawn and Garden Tires 15X6.00-6 2PR SU08 - Walmart.com

Amazon.com: TWO 15X6.00-6 8 Ply Rated Smooth Tread Lawn Mower Tire 15x600-6 15x600x6 Fits Zero Turn Mowers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I would go with one of the cheaper options from Walmart. I would not get a slick though. If he hits some dirt or loose stones it will be game over without any tread. Just my opinion. And 4 ply would make for a little tougher tire too. 2 ply is too light.

jferguson

Reaction score
I would go with one of the cheaper options from Walmart. I would not get a slick though. If he hits some dirt or loose stones it will be game over without any tread. Just my opinion. And 4 ply would make for a little tougher tire too. 2 ply is too light.
Thank you. I went with Wanda 4 ply rated to 31 mph.

Willie1

Reaction score
A trick for the 2 ply sidewall tires, or any tire for that matter. I always slop the inside of the sidewalls down with Dawn dish soap to seal the pores and keep them from developing slow leaks. I only use Dawn brand to do this - it is supposed to be the only dosh soap that isn't petroleum based. It is an old drag racers trick to avoid using tubes in slicks, whose thin sidewalls are horrible for sidewall bleeds.