Throttle return spring

gabomoral

Reaction score
Is my throttle return spring broken? Or damaged? Once i engage the plastic arm on the carburetor won’t return to its prevous position, leaving my engine on full throttle. First photo is its neutral postion, second photo is of the return spring, third photo is off the carburetor arm after i’ve engaged the throttle and it wont return (ALL THIS WHILE ENGINE IS OFF) I’ve removed the governor gear but left the governor arm so that i could use the stock throttle setup. I just turned it on and it seems to be returning but my engine is still on high rpms (ENGINE NOW ON). I dont have chain attached so i cant say if it’ll shoot out from underneath me but its very violent. Is this just normal engine action? My exhaust heated up in a matter of seconds. Im new to this stuff. Thank you for any feedback. Wish i could post a video of the throttle action.

Attachments

• F78D8A51-A6D1-4AA1-8448-1312D9732DDB.jpeg
    F78D8A51-A6D1-4AA1-8448-1312D9732DDB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • AE2741AA-D8F0-452B-8786-48FC36741C2C.jpeg
    AE2741AA-D8F0-452B-8786-48FC36741C2C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • EA4C05FE-3CC6-4FFD-B42F-63C279B902E0.jpeg
    EA4C05FE-3CC6-4FFD-B42F-63C279B902E0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

gabomoral

Reaction score
Okay so return spring seems to be engaging when engine is on. However i do have skme concerns. Once off choke the engine will rev up every now and then by itself. And its very violent. Is this all normal?

Karttekk

Reaction score
The governor controls engine speed. Working normally, the throttle goes wide open when the engine isn't running then the governor takes over when the engine starts and brings the engine to idle. Since you removed the gov gear you'll need a robust return spring somewhere to keep the engine speed under control. The spring you're showing isn't a return spring, it keeps the rod to the butterfly secure. Have you upgraded your connecting rod and flywheel to avoid having the engine coming apart at higher than normal RPM's?

gabomoral

Reaction score
No. Since its a tillotson and i followed gopowersports tutorial video i didnt change the flywheel. Im aware that on predators its smart to change to billet flywheel so it doesn’t explode on you. I’ve seen video where people drill new holes and add springs to their throttle setup. Is that what you’re talking about? And Okay so my butterfly is secure then which is good.