Throttle Linkage Question

Pro Procrastinator

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this thread. I almost put it in "Engines and Clutches' but just decided to do it in here.

Now to my actual question:
Does my gas pedal have to have a return spring on it? I bought Azusa pedals from Amazon and they came with return springs...However the springs require a bit of welding to install (at least on my frame) so I'm wondering if I can just not bother with them things. Will the spring on the throttle arm be enough to do the job? If I unscrew the 10mm nut that holds it down some more, will it have enough power to pull the pedal back up?

I don't wanna be that guy who gets in, floors it, and then the gas pedal won't come back up after it's gone down :lolgoku:.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Yes you need a return spring on the pedal. Do you really think the spring on your carburetor is strong enough to pull the pedal back all the way through the cable. VERY UNSAFE not to have one at each end.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
It's a matter of the cable moving through the sheath to begin with, and any resistance in your pedal action added on top of that. Just know this.................. Cables are designed to be PULLED through their sheaths, NOT PUSHED through them! Cables can bind up, bunch up, hang up, screw up when pushed into a sheath instead of being pulled through a sheath. Your throttle cable moves both ways, it should be pulled both ways. A strong spring at each end is advisable (required, in my opinion), just put in some kind of stop at the carb to avoid the gas pedal return spring from pulling in a damaging way on the carb.
I found out the hard way that gokart parts suppliers will sell you matching cable/conduit sets they call throttle cables or brake cables all day long at a seemingly reasonable price, until you find out you have to maintain no less than a foot radius arc when running them, or else they'll hang up inside their own plastic conduits. I now only use separate aircraft grade 7 x 7 cables (7 strands of 7 wires each) and metal-lined conduits from MFG Supply that I could probably wrap around my wrist and they'd still work. P.S. : Lube is extremely important, no matter what you use.
AZ2326 - Aircraft Control Cable 5/64 D x 56" L, 7x7 Type | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply
AZ2315-54 - Wescon Conduit 1/4 D x 54" L | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply
Chain & Cable Lube – Liquid Wrench