Thread question (not sure where else to post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast Eddie

Reaction score
Quick question. I've noticed on this forum (especially with project threads) that people get a few pages of posts then start a new thread on the same subject...typically with the same title and a #2, #3, and so on added to the end. Are we capped by the # of posts per thread? Just curious. I've never seen another forum do that before.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
It was after a discussion we had with the admin some time ago. We came to a conclusion that the thread would reach 3 pages of 20 posts each (60 posts) (or depending on your settings might show up as more pages with fewer posts each) then after it exceeded that amount, it would get split up and another continuation thread of that thread would be made. Yes, it's to keep things fresh although you'll notice that there's some threads that aren't split up, either because haven't gotten around to them or they're not a build thread or something similar that should be split up, like the "Post your car" thread. Usually the "off topic" one's don't get split up.

Hope that explaines it some.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really want to keep projects together, for the continuity, but like Kibble and Tyler were saying, it's a freshness thing. Once they get too long it's just too hard to figure out what's going on.

What's your thoughts on keeping it on one thread, out of curiousity? Maybe it will help figure out the best method.

Fast Eddie

Reaction score
I really want to keep projects together, for the continuity, but like Kibble and Tyler were saying, it's a freshness thing. Once they get too long it's just too hard to figure out what's going on.

What's your thoughts on keeping it on one thread, out of curiousity? Maybe it will help figure out the best method.

At least with project threads, I'd definately keep just one thread going. When users are monitoring a certain thread, they know to go to the last page when its bumped. If a user sees a thread for the first time, they can easily read it from beginning to end. Just my $.02.

Scorch3

Reaction score
You could always just put a link to the new thread at the end of the old one. It would accomplish both goals.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
That's what I've been doing with the latest split threads; putting a link to the new one at the end of the previous thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.