Thinking of a new chopper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I think I mentioned it in the mini chopper plans, but now that it's summer I'm thinking of building a "larger" mini chopper with this engine. Any thoughts?

It's an old Briggs, probably 1950s or so. See the pull start that you have to wrap around? Anyway the wheel will probably be that golf cart tire.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
I haven't found any good specs on it -- i need to pull the serial numbers off and call a dealer and ask. But I think it's about 8-10. Thing is a cast iron block, and the styling just looks so cool i think.

Reaction score
I haven't even tried yet.

I picked it up for about $20 from a guy I bought a bunch of engines from. it's kind of a funny story -- and a warning!

I was looking for a used 5 hp for my go kart last year. Turns out small engine repair guys are hard to find these days. The man I used to go to a long time ago had passed, but after a lot of searching I finally found a guy on the other side of town.

Said he had an 8hp engine and I went to get it.

His backyard was stacked, wall to wall, with engines he was fixing, or junk engine he couldn't bear to throw out. The more we talked, the more he kept offering me. Hey, why dont you take some of these? Want a pressure washer? How about this? That? The other!

I'd just taken my car, and couldn't haul anything else off, but I told him I'd be back for a couple of 3hp engines and the junk tillers/washers/whatever they were still attached to.

So, for around $120, I got:

4 3hp engines
2 8hp engines
2 10hp engines (the one you see and another that's attached to a generator).

the engines we attached to:
water pump, air compressor, power washer, generator, and something else. What a pile of stuff! And the guy was still trying to get me to take more! Said he was "cleaning out".

Anyway, turned out the 8 HP's ran but the output shafts were specifically made for the generator and water pump they came off of. Weird spline shafts. Rather than fight failure, I tossed them. 3 of the 4 3 HP's were good, and I've yet to try the big boys. But I've got a new magneto conversion for them and I'll bet they'll be great.

frank

Reaction score
can you get some stuff to fit the spline shafts? princess auto sells hubs that are made for those, you can weld on a sprocket to one, and then have a jackshaft with a clutch.

but you tossed them... any interesting scavenges?

anyways, try build something like these

jrjulien1

Reaction score
wow thats a great deal for all those motors even if some of them dont run theyre probably not too hard to fix next time i need a small engine for a project ill probably try at a small engine repair shop i think theres one near my house

Reaction score
Yeah, it was a heck of a deal. And i learned a LOT about the different styles of motors and carbs and ignition systems on Briggs engines.

I tossed them just because I was in one of those moods, and I pulled the carb off to use on the larger 10 hp, and the tank, and the new coil/magneto thing, and tossed the rest. I've learned over the years that sometimes your time is more valuable than screwing around. However, if I was 10 years younger, I would've found some way to make them work. I just got frustrated! :)

jrjulien1

Reaction score
ya for me if i see an engine in someones garbage or something ill al most always take it and mess arfound with it for a while at home sometimes they work with some minor adjustments and sometimes they dont

seney2

Reaction score
Briggs and stratton's web site has a engine serial and model number look-up... should tell you exactly what you have...

They do make a pulleys / clutches that will work on a tappered shaft BUT they are VERY expensive.... you could buy a new 5hp for less....

Status
Not open for further replies.