The thought of starting from absolute scratch when I just got my first kart finished.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Just stumbled across this electric start 8hp Briggs with two alternators. I did nothing but fill the fuel line and hit the starter and i tell you it’s as smooth runner like my kohler. I also have this red talon that has an amazing running 5.5hp. I figured if I grab a slotted Briggs plate off eBay along with a 10t #40 clutch I could use the hub sprocket and chain that’s on the kart now. and I could also add all the lights and gauges etc etc. that are on my kart. But just starting from scratch sounds not fun at all. CEE3EE44-5DE7-4239-A974-1FC6D3281E87.jpegE9732B6C-7B4B-42A6-8B7B-AED23F944799.png

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Getting the engine mounted is going to be a job. But I think if the guy down the road will cut me some steel square plate I can get it done.A5943148-0D77-4907-9AEE-ED75A09F81E7.jpeg

USAMAC

Reaction score
I'm new an all and not the most experienced, but am I the only one that thinks the wheels are setup strange? I am guessing the rear were small for scrubs and considering they are warn bare but why are the fronts so big?
OP, are you gonna change breaks maybe even put a live axel on it? I am not sure if that frame is even capable of a live axel, just learning here!

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
I'm new an all and not the most experienced, but am I the only one that thinks the wheels are setup strange? I am guessing the rear were small for scrubs and considering they are warn bare but why are the fronts so big?
OP, are you gonna change breaks maybe even put a live axel on it? I am not sure if that frame is even capable of a live axel, just learning here!
The tire setup was out of necessity. The dead axle drive wheel’s rim/bearing were destroyed. The front end had one perfect small rim and tire and the other front tire was a locked up wagon wheel. I put two tractor tire/rims on the front and used the one good front tire/bearing for the for the rear drive wheel. It was setup that way so I didn’t have to purchase bearings or rims. Also no on the dead axle. I’m way out on back roads and do mostly street driving. I had a dead axle cart and it wouldn’t turn.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
I got the engine bolted to the engine mount plate. I have to set this all on the karts existing engine mount plate and trace my new pattern so they both match and the engine has plenty of adjustment. Once it’s bolted and I lay some weld around the place all that will be left is the clutch and chain.368E26C6-CAAF-4790-86CD-862B6D89D695.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
I ground down the band brake and moved the brake lever over to give me that last little bit of needed room. The clutch is aligned also. I’m looking for that length of 420 chain I had left over. Could have it running by tonight!
8CED04DF-60A7-4DC7-8B5F-FBD9756E7377.jpeg

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Kool & lookin good! :thumbsup:
Are ya using a "tool" of some kind ta align your sprockets?

I have found that a simple paint stirring stick (or similar device) comes in handy for this procedure ;)

Simply hold the "stick" flat against & across the bigger sprocket (the usually non-align able one)
...& then, use it ta align the smaller sprocket (the align able one) with the bigger one

* This method is way more accurate than goin "by eye" :cheers2:

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Kool & lookin good! :thumbsup:
Are ya using a "tool" of some kind ta align your sprockets?

I have found that a simple paint stirring stick (or similar device) comes in handy for this procedure ;)

Simply hold the "stick" flat against & across the bigger sprocket (the usually non-align able one)
...& then, use it ta align the smaller sprocket (the align able one) with the bigger one

* This method is way more accurate than goin "by eye" :cheers2:
I actually threw some small pipe in the vice and cut out a perfect spacer for behind the drive wheel to push everything out a bit. Also I’m using a saw blade to get the alignment and I fully understand how to cut chain so it’s not to loose after adding a masterLink. I don’t run master links anyway so.. it’s great how universal chain is. I was able to use the stock chain with the #420 clutch and I’m super happy about that.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
I’m super happy with the way it’s turning out! I got this super awesome round gas tank to complete everything. I’m going for a test ride here soon.7E8C930A-2D28-478F-B37C-3A51E7F4506C.jpegC70D3921-814A-43D2-96F5-D11D2FDC711A.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Test ride went amazing! Governed go carts are pitiful.. time to fix that. Other that that it is working like I intended so far.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Gotta get up early to finish stuff on time. I’m going out soon to cut some thin steel I can weld together for a battery box. Also the kill switch needs wired in. Lastly I had to push the darn thing home last night.. carb must have sucked up junk cause it clunked out on me. Gonna drop the carb bowl and check everything out.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Got the switches and battery/solenoid mounted and had to bolt on a new updraft.. I have been running the kart all over the back roads all day and it didn’t act up or give me any trouble. Really a solid runner. On to the charging system and lights. Also I spent the last couple hours drag racing with my pops on empty backroads. Both of us topped out side by side for a couple hundred feet the suspense of who’s gonna pull ahead is boggling. And the first time he flew past me.. almost scared me into a ditch he was going so fast. He couldn’t do that with the 5.5 Honda.AF412C5C-569F-44C5-9DB7-CC6744230669.jpeg26FF42E5-E1E9-4194-AD48-BB12FB914F70.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
This Briggs just keeps giving.. I didn’t understand the duel alternator setup at first. The headlights are ran off ac voltage from the stator like an old two stroke dirt bike! So I don’t even need a battery at all to run lights. And the lights do not draw anything from the battery that is connected. The second alternator puts out dc power to the ignition switch to charge the battery. The battery’s only job is to run the starter. The lights accessory’s are all ran off the stator. Brilliant!06636B88-C4E5-4DA3-A516-155EF9D2C0CA.jpegB18E2E59-C6C8-4A05-B56F-7C5C02183350.jpeg

Mccartercar

Reaction score
This Briggs just keeps giving.. I didn’t understand the duel alternator setup at first. The headlights are ran off ac voltage from the stator like an old two stroke dirt bike! So I don’t even need a battery at all to run lights. And the lights do not draw anything from the battery that is connected. The second alternator puts out dc power to the ignition switch to charge the battery. The battery’s only job is to run the starter. The lights accessory’s are all ran off the stator. Brilliant!View attachment 129593View attachment 129594
Thank you for explaining this.