The oddities of eBay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

silforty

Reaction score
These radio flyer wagons would be awesome with a motor and some rope to steer with.

Ebay Item here

Attachments

• !BnUK70QBWk~$(KGrHqMH-C0EtsFYlBHPBLj!1c3VYg~~_32.JPG
    !BnUK70QBWk~$(KGrHqMH-C0EtsFYlBHPBLj!1c3VYg~~_32.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 20

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Sil, the wagons end up with gas engines and steering, built using kart parts..... :thumbsup:
I kinda like the idea of the rail way kart, but, which tracks don't run trains anymore? Which ones do the Amtraxx run on? I'm not gonna be the one who finds out the hard way..... :cornut:

Axx3d

Reaction score
I use this site http://www.abandonedrails.com/

then I use google earth to verify trax are still in place..

I saw that video i posted this summer and ive had the urge to build one ever since. Light weight with a 3.5 hp, cent and simple controls. Would be fun to go explore..

machinist@large

Reaction score
This isn't a good idea; fun maybe, but not a good idea, and here's why. Just because the track has been declared abandoned doesn't mean that the railroad doesn't still own it. And the railroad police have more legal authority under the law than the local police up to the state level. Depending on the circumstances, they may fully out rank the local FBI.

The best rule is the oldest: if you don't own it, don't ride on it.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
This isn't a good idea; fun maybe, but not a good idea, and here's why. Just because the track has been declared abandoned doesn't mean that the railroad doesn't still own it. And the railroad police have more legal authority under the law than the local police up to the state level. Depending on the circumstances, they may fully out rank the local FBI.

The best rule is the oldest: if you don't own it, don't ride on it.

Settle down.....setlle down.....SHUT UP AND LISTEN! !!! Children....class is now in session......

I don't watch the news much......BUT.....It appears someone shot up the WhiteHouse.....( or is that the "halfway" house now....I gets confused....)

So.....it took a while for the Secreting Cervix to figure it out.....so....really....railroad cops on ABANDONED. rails?????

Not too likely......and the chance of prosecution.....REALLY. slim,,,,,,,

machinist@large

Reaction score
Settle down.....setlle down.....SHUT UP AND LISTEN! !!! Children....class is now in session......

I don't watch the news much......BUT.....It appears someone shot up the WhiteHouse.....( or is that the "halfway" house now....I gets confused....)

So.....it took a while for the Secreting Cervix to figure it out.....so....really....railroad cops on ABANDONED. rails?????

Not too likely......and the chance of prosecution.....REALLY. slim,,,,,,,

:funnypost: :roflol: You know Doug? There's times when you really crack me up. Confusing a miss managed government agency with a draconian private army...... If you want to volunteer to be the test case, go right ahead.....

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay.. so.. idiot texan gunslingers have to be expected?

IDK about the americas too well, but I think if a railroad cop shows up on a "misused" abandoned railroad track the conversation will be more likely like this:

"Hey Punk.. get off the tracks, that's XYZ's property you're not allowed to be here!"
"Yupp, sorry, I was just having some fun"
"now get lost"
"yeah, sorry sir, I'm on my way..."

Why?
well shooting someone for that reason.. I don't know for sure, but that seems not appropiate, even a trigger-happy shirtback (DIY print 2" lower please)
might have difficulties explaining that properly.

Arresting or suing someone.. that much paperworks for something you can fix by "get lost!" alone... that'd be germany then.. so not either :D

and that leaves us with:
they could.. but why should they give a flying shirt (really orange v-neck... when robert.. when?!)

'sid

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
railroads actually have a very long history of extremely vigilant "private security" in this country. Now, I agree that an abandoned one is (by definition) abandoned and therefore probably no one cares, but an active track I've heard that they don't take kindly to hobos, trespass, etc. Anyone got any stories?

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Well....this is railroad related.....

I grew up on a dead-end street about 4 houses from the tracks.......

Now.....we didn't live on the wrong side of the tracks.....where we lived.....there wasn't a right side......

I can tell you....when you're. 6 or 7 years old....even when the train is only going 35 or 40....it gets.very big looking very fast.....and your heart really gets to pounding before you win playing chicken......

Anyway....other that once plotting to jump one....and putting coins on the rails....that's about all the thought I ever gave those trains.....

My younger brother.....on the other hand.....became obsessed with them.....every time he heard one coming.....he would run down to watch it go by.......

I don't know how many months it took us to catch on that he had become the railroad poster child of the ghetto......and all the caboose men were putting a quarter or two in a folded up paper drink cup and tossing them out as they went by.......

No wonder he got excited when he heard a train coming!!!!!!:rolleyes:

n3480h

Reaction score
I used to hunt railroad right of ways without any problem. Trains would pass and the crew would wave. Then 911 happened and suddenly ALL rail right of ways were posted. Do they get cranky if you're caught? You bet they do. And they can take very drastic and painful legal action against the offender. If you are obviously armed (hunting), several flavors of law enforcement will appear - and they leave their sense of humor at home. That has happened locally. Maybe it's not like that in other parts of the country, but that's how it is here. I would imagine if one was caught karting down an "abandoned" track you might get a severely worded warning. Or you might find yourself in court, answering to a charge of trespassing.

For the record, there is no longer real estate in America that is not owned by someone, or some entity. It might be listed as "abandoned", but rest assured someone holds the title to it.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I never have, but I had heard about hunting on the train right of way during dove season. Seems like a good option when so much land is private.

JMINDY

Reaction score
As a kid, we use to go rabbit hunting along the tracks... Last summer a friend that I used to go hunting with back then, and is now a conservation officer, said the railroad companies are prosecuting anyone who is caught on their properties no matter if the tracks are active or not.

Other example is this story of two women who about got ran over (survived) on a train bridge in Bloomington, IN back in July. Here is a link to the video...
http://abcnews.go.com/US/women-survive-run-freight-train/story?id=24758554

Now after a scare like that, those girls will probably never set foot on a train track again! Lucky to be alive, no damage was done, end of story right? Nope, last week it was in the news that the train company is pressing charges on the two women anyways...

Abandon or not, get caught on their property and I wouldn't be surprised that they don't let you off lightly with just a warning.

fowler

Reaction score
U wish there was abandoned tracks

Not enough history to have abandoned tracks
There all under 150years old

Theres been no real changes as far as ghost towns and what not
So all the tracks are just refured

Rail cops are a bit of a joke here
The ones that regulate the public transport
Theres no guards for the freight trains exept for their yards

But u would be stupid to ride on the tracks

JMINDY

Reaction score
Here is another story of mine concerning railroads... In 2003, I survived getting hit by an AM Track train...

I decided to earn a little extra cash and was working weekends for a farm op hauling lime to farmers in the fields. Driving a grain truck with an auger arm on the back. I was following a truck out to a delivery just outside of Lee, IN (very small farm town, pop of maybe 200). We came to a crossing where the train tracks ran north to south, but the road crossed the tracks at an angle instead of perpendicular (like an X). The truck ahead of me stopped, looked, then crossed. He never saw the train either. I stopped at the tracks. In order to see down the tracks, I had to look around the back corner of the cab on the passenger side, looking straight into the morning sun. Didn't see or hear anything...started to cross. The only thing I remember was a loud horn blast, and a shadow coming over the truck! It hit the passenger side front wheel and the truck spun end to end down along the train's engine and passenger cars. The auger on the back of the truck punctured the side of the train's engine leaving a long rip in it's side. My truck came to rest about 30 yards from the crossing in a ditch. When I woke I was sideways with my head resting in the passenger's bucket seat. I was still seat-belted into my driver's bucket seat. The impact was so hard, it ripped the seat from the truck's floor! The front end of the truck was gone, including the engine. I climbed out of the driver's side window, and stood on a tire as I climb down to the ground. Later I was told that the tire I was standing on was the passenger's side still attached to the front axle! Anyways I sat in the grass, and I guess that is when the shock must have set in because I can't remember much after till I was in the ambulance, even though the sheriff officer and my co-worker claim they had a conversation with me while waiting for EMT to arrive. Crazy as it sounds... I did not have many injuries... bruised across my torso from the seat-belt, 15 stitches for a cut on my head, a bruise on my thigh (hit the shifter?), and small cuts on my hands (and I think i did those trying to get out). So I'm one of the few that can say, I lived through a train wreck!

BTW: AM Track did sue me and the company I was working at for damages. It was an unmarked crossing, no horn was sounded (until too late), and witnesses (including passengers on the train) said the train was speeding over it's "AM Track policy of 65MPH". The companies insurance handle the lawsuits and claims...

Status
Not open for further replies.