The Mako Buggy - Finalizing Project Plans

SquidBonez

Reaction score
Over the past few months I've been planning out what I want to do for my next project. I wanted to create something comparable to a Honda Odyssey FL250, but with full suspension, more stability, a 4-stroke engine, and slightly more power. I've considered all different types of engines, suspensions, etc, and needless to say my earlier plans were much more...ambitious...perhaps too much so for a beginner like myself. So after much thought, research, and simplification, I have reached my finalized plans which I am calling the Mako Buggy.

I found a very basic free CAD program to get a rough model of my frame. Here are the results:

Here is an alternative version I made with a full roll cage, but I'm leaning towards the roll bar design for simplicity's sake as well as weight savings:

You'll also notice the buggy is nosed down a bit, but that will not be the case in real life (A-arms will be at a slight angle as opposed to parallel with the ground, so that will level it out).

So here's the basic technical overview:
ENGINE: EC228R (≈20HP) OR Tillotson 225 (≈17HP), ≈8000 RPM
TRANSMISSION: Comet 30 series w/ Juggernaut driver
GEARING: 7.1:1 - 8:1 (will be adjusted as needed)
SUSPENSION: Double A-arm front & swing-arm rear
STEERING: Rack and pinion
TIRES: 20" all around
WIDTH: ≈50" (able to fit on most ATV trails)
WEIGHT: 400lbs-450lbs (just a rough estimate)
TOP SPEED: 60MPH (anything past is a bonus, will try to gear as short as I can for maximum torque while still reaching 60MPH)

For comparison, a stock FL250 had a 2-stoke engine producing 16 horsepower and 8000RPM max, single J-arm front suspension, no rear suspension, 20" front tires, 22" rear tires, a total weight of about 400lbs-430lbs, and a top speed of ≈50MPH.

This build will be a gradual process and likely subject to change as I go on, but I figured I'd post it here before I start in case any of you have suggestions that will prevent future headaches. I will create a build thread of my project once I finally begin. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!
:thumbsup:

EDIT: I refined the CAD model a little bit and made some minor improvements as well as added two body panels:

No body panel version:

I think this design not only looks better, but will be safer, stronger and possibly lighter (the frame itself is actually slightly shorter than before). The spindles now attach to the A-arms through a separate bracket rather than directly, allowing me to better position the heim joints and allow for slightly more travel. I'm looking for something I can really beat on, hit jumps with, etc, so travel and strength are very important.