The Game Changer: Ducar 212cc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
http://www.dynocams.com/item/ducar-212kit/ducar212/

Dyno Cams is offering their own engine to challenge the Predator hegemony. It is made by Ducar and their stated desire is to compete in the growing Predator classes.

It comes pre-equipped with Dyno Cams PVL aluminum flywheel which is tested to 17,000RPM and a free throttle linkage kit and clutch guard for 184 bucks! Cheaper than a Predator and an ARC billet flywheel.

You just know it's already got the build quality and consistent tolerances out of the box (like the Box Stock engines) and probably makes more power than the exalted Predator, out of the box.

Yet and still, people (and the cultists) still love the Predators. :eek:
Well, my guess is the news hasn't made the rounds quite yet...

Discuss.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
So it is a Hemi with a flywheel.

Predator is $110 after tax when it is on sale. This flywheel is $90 bucks free shipping. So $200 out the door.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HF-Predator...el-/222560153289?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275
BTW the flywheel i linked has 28 degree timing for those who feel 32 is too much advance

Their engine would cost me $215 shipped ($31 shipping)

I just saved you $15.

If it had a billet rod and flywheel for $275 shipped, then we'd be talking good deal!!

But it's pretty cool. i haven't seen it yet.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Their engine would cost me $215 shipped ($31 shipping)

I just saved you $15.

if you include shipping, include labour as well ;)
then it's at par...
15 bucks to remove shroud, remove old flywheel,
install and torque down new, readjust magneto, reinstall shroud ..
I'd call fair

BTW IIRC the DuroMax from HomeDepot is a rebranded Ducar
(just like the HF predator is a rebranded Rato...IDK if they sell hemis though)
soooo compared to their price (~160 for the bone stock 7hp 212)
that's still quite an advantage :D

'sid

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
If they threw in a higher torque cam, and a billet rod, it would be a no brainer.

The other set back is that you can't drive to a store and plop it on a counter if somethings afoul.

Randy H

Reaction score
http://www.dynocams.com/item/dc-pvl-fw/
$65
The complete engine from DynoCams seems like a fine deal. Especially if a billet flywheel is a requirement for a sanctioned event. However, for many users it would make more sense to put that money towards the purchase of a billet rod. Because it's been proven that after governor removal and stiffer valve springs, the rod is the part that fails.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.dynocams.com/item/dc-pvl-fw/
$65
The complete engine from DynoCams seems like a fine deal. Especially if a billet flywheel is a requirement for a sanctioned event. ...
If it need to be a billet flywheel, the PVL is not allowed,
it's a cast flywheel, just of higher quality than stock and tested..

I'd agree on the conrod.. that should be included..
and as far as the cam goes.. that should be an option only.
seeing how many cams they offer for clones, and that barely two require the same valve springs to make good use of the cam,
others call for a timing key in order to reach the intended rpms more easily...

I'd say that'd open a whole new can of worms if they throw in a
modified cam by default.
it might not be the cam you want, and you payed for cam, timing and springs. Just to pay again for the one you want (and whatever makes the cam happy ;))

So yeah.. an option (installation service basically) would be nice.
then again.. that'd be this:
http://www.dynocams.com/category/race-clone/engines/
not??

'sid

Randy H

Reaction score
I stand corrected. For the record, I should have read more carefully and quoted the manufacturer. Crummy die cast. Haha. But still.

Approved by all major sanctioning bodies.

KartFab

Reaction score
My thoughts:

IIRC this engine has been around for a while, even before the predator... but it was the true clone, like the box stock project 196cc engines.... So they (Ducar?) are making this a clone of the predator, but better? Like a non-CLONE CLONE!? WHATS NEXT, A CLONE OF THE DUCAR 212?!?!?! Making it a clone of a non clone which was a non clone of the original, which was cloned, not to be confused with clones of the original, but clones of the predator, which is the original non-clone?

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I think they are not selling as well because of the convenience of being able to drive to HFT and walking out with an engine...call it instant gratification if you will, rather than wait a few days to a week in shipping. Granted it comes modified so that's less hassle to go through yourself.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
My thoughts:

IIRC this engine has been around for a while, even before the predator... but it was the true clone, like the box stock project 196cc engines.... So they (Ducar?) are making this a clone of the predator, but better? Like a non-CLONE CLONE!? WHATS NEXT, A CLONE OF THE DUCAR 212?!?!?! Making it a clone of a non clone which was a non clone of the original, which was cloned, not to be confused with clones of the original, but clones of the predator, which is the original non-clone?

Well it's not predator they copy.. not at all!

IF they copy a copy they copy the Rato (which the predator is before HF's relabelling)
but I'd rather think they got the 212 idea from the "original" the Kohler CH270
same bore (70mm) a mm less stroke resulting in 208cc
(54mm just as the gx200 as opposed to the rato's 55mm)

but yeah, with engines like the Kohler, the 206 series by briggs&stratton and other similar sized Honda competitors..
it's fairly difficult to call their design choices "copy"
I mean if I want to make an engine that can replace the Honda Gx200 in an industrial setting, it makes sense if it has the same footprint,
and shares it's overall dimensions as good as possible,
if air fuel and exhaust are in about the same spot it makes it much easier for the client to swap mine against theirs too...

Copy.. sure in a way.. but hey, what option they had?

It's when chinesium companies made their engines so that every single part can replace the one of a Honda GX200 when it get's
a clone..
and when they interbreed different such clones the result might end up as a 212cc engine at times,
some parts can be swapped from the Honda shelf, some from the Kohler shelf.. and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if we found some random Robin Subaru or Briggs parts in those at any point in time.

NOW claiming "design rights" for a prdator engine is hilarious,
I mean Rato makes some good engines, yes, just like Lifan does or Ducar in this case.
but none ever did true engineering.. they all copied one or another engine (Honda, Kohler, Briggs, Robin.. Tecumseh perhaps)
maybe mixed them up a bit or changed minor details... at best.

And I said it before, I'll say it again..
while the predator is very popular for it's bang per buck.
it's by no means original
(given it's nothing but a rebranded chinese Rato)
it's not even the original non-clone ;)

'sid

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
My thoughts:

Say clone one more time, I dare ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.