The Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

the-cyborg

Reaction score
Okay here goes, I just made a deal with Blazkowiez and the guys over at gokartsoftexas.com for the vintage Bug rolling chassis.
Thanks Blazkowiez I'll get over there with the engine and pick up the cart early this week.

At first I was thinking of using the Raptor 1 I got off osso12.
But after thinking about it, I've decided to go all out, and try and put it back to as close to original as possible, I already know that the steering has been modified from it's original state some time in the past, and will need to be redone.

I haven't decided on a color for it yet, but was planning on bead blasting it and having it powder coated (yes I know they didn't powder coat in the 60's) but I like the deep rich look, and the durability.

Now on to the engine, they came stock with either a westbend or clinton engine looking around ebay I've found 2 period candidates and I'm torn as to which to bid on.

First is a Westbend 820 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/west-bend-820-us-vintage-kart-gokart-engine-motor-/250880191077?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item3a699fea65

The second is a Clinton 500 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clinton-Panther-Go-Kart-Engine-Motor-Mini-Bike-Vintage-/180716147603?pt=Go_Karts&hash=item2a13859393

The only problem I see with the Clinton id the broken fins on the head, if I can get it at a good price I could probably get those restored.

Both are fine specimens of vintage carting engines, What do you guys think?
Help me decide on an engine for this thing.

Here are some pics if the cart itself for some before photos
Yes Blazkowiez I leeched you photos and re-hosted them :D

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
Heh, the west bend 820 can put out well over 16hp with an expansion chamber and the correct carb. Its a shame we sold our last one 2 years ago, we let it go for a mere 350 dollars WITH recoil, carb, expansion chamber, mounting plate etc...

the-cyborg

Reaction score
Heh, the west bend 820 can put out well over 16hp with an expansion chamber and the correct carb. Its a shame we sold our last one 2 years ago, we let it go for a mere 350 dollars WITH recoil, carb, expansion chamber, mounting plate etc...
So how much you think I should set my highest bid for on the one I posted the link to?

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't really know man, everyone has separate prices in their mind, I wouldn't go over 300 including shipping honestly (but i'm a perpetually broke college student). I'd go less than half of what it is new. Check out the US 820 website (yes they still make them as far as I know).

machinist@large

Reaction score
I don't really know man, everyone has separate prices in their mind, I wouldn't go over 300 including shipping honestly (but i'm a perpetually broke college student). I'd go less than half of what it is new. Check out the US 820 website (yes they still make them as far as I know).

:wai:Just checked; still for sale under the US Motor Power name, Racine WI:cheers2:

the-cyborg

Reaction score
Just got back home, the bug is now in my possession. :D
I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas eve.
I forgot just how small these were. I had one back in the 70's as a kid that got stolen and been looking for another every since.

**Begin shameless plug:
Guys before you go to ordering things online, check with Blazkowiez and gokartsoftexas the guys have tons of stuff at good prices, heck I even able to pick up some hard to find vintage NOS West Bend US820 parts.
** end shameless plug
Blazkowiez thanks again, and tell Robert I said thanks, and whenever he finds that expansion chamber let me know, and/or any other 820 parts you guys run across I'll be more than happy to take them off your hands.

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
Will do man, appreciate it. Can't wait to see this thing being built, and yes those karts arn't huge but **** they're cool. I have actually seen the box he's talking about so I know its a real thing, I may dedicate some time next week to cleaning I've been meaning to organize our sprocket shelves anyway. I have good faith we'll find it soon.

I'm glad to hear you're happy with the kart and we'll put the engine to good use, most likely it'll end up on the big thunder we've got in the side building, its got a GX340 on there right now but i'd rather put that on a different project.

tneff

Reaction score
That kart looks similar to the project I just picked up for me and my son, will try and get pics up tomorrow of it. May need to check out GoKartsofTexas.com, see a few parts we may be needing. Cool looking kart

the-cyborg

Reaction score
Well I have her tore down, removed the old floor pan/seat pan, started stripping 52 years of paint off of it, looks like she's seen many different colors over the years reds, greens, blues, yellow.
Believe me when I tell you each layer is fighting tooth and nail coming off, but I'm getting there. I ran out of sun light and called it a day, I'll post more pics tomorrow.

As a side note I was able to score a period NOS Clinton seat back tank today, that should be here sometime late this week.

the-cyborg

Reaction score
Nope I already have a West Bend US820 going on it, the raptor I got from you is going to get a rebuild, and going on my sons kart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.