Tav2 vs 30 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeden de Boer

Reaction score
I was wondering why the tav2 which from my read watch is a comet 30 series only handle 8 hp but a normal 30 series handles 15. And is there any way to get a tav2 to handle more power since that tc is easy for me to get. Btw I'm running an 8hp Honda gx240 but want to mod it for a bit more power, that's why I want the tav2 to handle more power. Thanks.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
both are rated for 8hp!

the TAV2 kit as well as the series 30 without it's backplate and jackshaft.

the misconception struck me too since there is a typo on hoffcocomet's homepage claiming the series30 to handle 13hp (I don't know where you got the 15 from tbh...)
Anyways, the manual clearly states 8horses as well!

That being said:
the issue is the belt or say lack thereof ;)
to transfer the assumed torque (and that's the main issue) of an engine with more than 8 horses, the belt would need a bigger flange mainly to provide enough contacting surface with the sheaves.

Since by improving the power of an engine (mainly by means of higher rpms for industrial engines like yours) you do not improve the torque too much to be affected really.
if you go for higher compression ratios impoved cam profiles (for torque not speed) and the like, you will certainly decrease the mileage of your belt..

but from what you see on this forum, many engines around here run a Tav2 kit w/o issues, some push 10 or more horses.

And we even have supermanotorious who installed a TaV2 on his 13hp 420cc predator engine
without shredding the Tav to pieces ;) (it's a winch setup.. still more torque than a 240cc engine would provide ;))

In short:
So yeah, engine nominal 8hp...
the Tav2 kit should serve you well, no worries!

'sid

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
You see absolutely baffled...
that'S the website I was referring to of course.. and last time I checked it listed the series30 as max 13hp... (unless my mind is playing tricks on me...)

Anyways, the manuals state 8hp all around..
http://kartingdistributors.com/pdfs/30series.pdf
or here:
http://www.bmikarts.com/pdf/comet_30series.pdf
(scan of the same document actually...)

Anyways, makes much more sense than the claimed 15hp on the website (I still think it's a typo)

in any case... your gx240 will work fine with a series 30 (w or w/o backplate)..
and that's all the difference there is, the backplate.
The previous TAV (not the TAV2!) came with a pressed sheet steel backplate which I doubt will be as stiff and rigid as the cast one so it might fail sooner *shrugs*
if you think the backplate will fail..
but the actual TC will work... buy a TAV2 kit and install it on a seperate jackshaft just get the proper sized belt to match your Center to Center distance (it's a 6" driven)
and you'll be running a series 30 (non TAV2) if that helps you having a good night sleep, so be it ;)

'sid

Jaeden de Boer

Reaction score
thanks, I don't know about you but i cant stand it when companies cant make up their mind on what their product is actually good for or rated for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.