TAV2 Drag

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave1701

Good for 100,000 Miles
Reaction score
I have a TAV2 on my kart and I took the chain off to lube it and I noticed that it was much easier to push. Is it normal for a TAV2 to induce that much drag on the kart?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I second the "yup". Compound reduction makes it really easy for the engine to push the kart... And that much harder for the kart to push the engine, so to speak. That's how the concept of gearing down and engine braking in a manual transmission (and even automatic) car works.

speedshopmike

Reaction score
guys, the belt should idle on the floating bronze bushing and induce effectively no engine load when the kart's being pushed.
mine doesn't have any drag or spin the driver when being pushed.

dave17, i'd check your various bearings out, esp the jackshaft ones.
mine were trashed; it took considerable effort to turn the j'shaft by hand.
i was surprised they hadn't already fully seized up when i realized how much heat was being generated.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Speaking from personal experience, it's to be expected. I had a properly set up Comet 40 in good working order, good and correctly sized belt, and all running gear properly maintained and in good order. Even though the engine and driver is not turning while the kart is being pushed, you can expect extra resistance brought upon by trying to spin the jackshaft with the added gear multiplication.

That said, it's a "feel" thing. if you don't know how it should feel, or it feels harder- by al means, check that stuff.

dave1701

Good for 100,000 Miles
Reaction score
Well, I guess it has been doing this ever since I put a the torque Converter on it. I had forgotten the reverse gear ration thing. Makes perfect sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.