T-Trailer anyone?

Master Hack

Reaction score
Anyone here built a T trailer or otherwise had experience with a T trailer? I need to build one to haul Fraken kart around for the grandbrats. Something like this :

4C16EC23-ED01-4C9D-8F81-3A20D2E09743.jpeg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Why not just buy or build a cheap utility trailer. A tow dolly is not the thing you want for a buggy the little bearings and tires can’t take the speeds. I used to build my own trailers. Everything from tilt deck snowmobile to a custom 6 kart golf kart hauler. And tilting bed trucks also.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Cheap, light weight, easy to build, doesn't take up a lot of room when not in use.
Nice hauler, but not in my budget!
Thanks! That's my "day job" :thumbsup:

That T-trailer (in the pic) kinda reminds me of a small boat trailer.

If ya can find one cheap, maybe just modify it to your likin' :cheers2:

I know you could probably build one ;)
...but, you would still need a good strong axle with high speed bearings/hubs/wheels etc.

* If you do build one, please make a thread
...we likes to watch :popcorn:

Master Hack

Reaction score
After hours of analizing the need, the options, the available materials and the motovation level, l’ve decided to start building a T trailer. ( yeah about 10 minutes)
I have an axle on order with a 3-4 week lead time. A local shop was within a few bucks of the on line places. As an old school geezer, i prefer a face to face transaction, with my fellow geezers. Support your local businessman and all that happy horses**t that doesen‘t exist anymore.
Anyway this is going to be a month or so in process, so l’ll post up as things progress.
DISCLAIMER: l am not a professional welder, engineer, fabricator, or anything other than a backyard hack. But l can read and listen to advice from people smarter than l.
with that said remember my MO: Use what ya have, Scounge, make it work, but never buy unless there is no other viable option.
Now on to the fun stuff.
episode 1: the backbone.
l found a 20 ft lenght of 2x6x.250 tubing in the shop. Actually l’ve been looking at it for the last 10 years. It’s a left over from another (cancled) project. Yeah, serious overkill!
And l found a trailer coupler, hitch thing attached to a 2ft piece of 2x2x.250 square tubing.
the two need to be glued together.

1AF4F7E9-8D14-4E62-8889-45DF553DCE20.jpeg
6DF47BEC-5576-4F15-9DD1-D98929E28452.jpeg

Master Hack

Reaction score
Keeping with the overkill theme and the fact tht 10 pounds of crappy weld are equal to one pound of good weld l added gusets to reinforce my welds. I cut the 2x6 tube at a 45 where it joins the 2x2 hitch thingy.
41054D0E-7624-49EA-959C-C6957B9B12BE.jpeg
5AA86154-E5AF-4F61-9E10-6267F72F455D.jpeg

next on T trailer: figuring out how to cross the Tee!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I need 6’ of that tubing.
Seriously though when splicing tubing like that you should notch the larger size tubing with no squared cuts. Then bevel all edges and then burn it in. It would be strong and light then. With all cuts rounded it won’t crack then.

Master Hack

Reaction score
I thought about notching the 2x6 but that would be difficult. Light? What is that? That is a foreign concept. I should be ok, payload is only around 1K lbs.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Your so right. Especially near the hitch like that. It mostly effects the tongue weight. Now what about 6’ of that tubing? :lolgoku: