Suzuki 500cc 36HP engine on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Reaction score
Honestly you'd be better off finding a Shadow 500 engine that -not- damaged. You'd probably find one for around $150 with decent miles on it. And who knows the damage done to that Suzuki? Both are in my heart but the Honda is 50hp, and with a cam kit you could pop around 60 ft lbs out of it. My '85 VT500c takes off nearly as good as my '94 'Wing. And as Jezzah would say...

PPOOOOOOOOWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHH

ultralight01

Senior Yet Young Member
Reaction score
The only thing that's damaged is the gearbox case... Just weld a couple holes shut for cosmetics. According to the seller everything still function perfectly and it was just used (started after whatever damaged it) 3 months ago.

mckutzy

Reaction score
That looks more than a couple of holes to shut..... If he doesnt have the chunk thats missing.. Its going to be a big bill for the welder...... as he need to make it fit and function to hold oil.
That is more than most people want to spend for that.

Id reckon there is at least a day or 2 of work in the welding/fab for the missing part....... good amount of that is getting it clean enough to weld it let alone the job....

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Reaction score
According to the seller everything still function perfectly and it was just used (started after whatever damaged it) 3 months ago.

But you're going buy the word of a stranger. And 3 months can lead to all KINDS of issues. Could be rust, corrosion, rodent ****, you name it, it could be in there. Something like that isn't a "weld a couple patches and done." Take it from someone who does this for a living and owns a shop doing it. You're better off finding something else in the long run. If it was on the case plate that'd be different ($40 ebay part), but since it's on the main body of a case there could be microfractures and damage that'll bite you in the *** in time.

ultralight01

Senior Yet Young Member
Reaction score
That looks more than a couple of holes to shut..... If he doesnt have the chunk thats missing.. Its going to be a big bill for the welder...... as he need to make it fit and function to hold oil.
That is more than most people want to spend for that.

Just for reference, I know how to weld and have several welders (machines) I can borrow. :wai:

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

What about... this guy? https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mpo/5780667649.html
Or this guy? https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mpo/5786636536.html
There's definitely options.

big-d

Reaction score
The hardest part is probably the fact that it is where the 2 case halves come together. It becomes a lot more then just plugging some holes. It is doable with enough time and tools.

I found this on my local classifieds😬 (If I had a place to store this inside, it would be in my garage already)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1

mckutzy

Reaction score
For this work you need tig... Mig as you call it... Lol.... Even a spool gun isn't a good choice for fixing this...

I doubt you'll be able to fix that... Easily

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Good choice those sp engines do not have that much power and parts are really hard to get. I had a sp250 last month and it was really bad. So I sold it.

It did start first kick tho ! But lacked in the power area. Wouldn't even yank the front tire in first gear.

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Reaction score
Good choice those sp engines do not have that much power and parts are really hard to get. I had a sp250 last month and it was really bad. So I sold it.

It did start first kick tho ! But lacked in the power area. Wouldn't even yank the front tire in first gear.

Hence why a GL1500 or VT500 engine would be choice. I just bough my first 500 shadow a few weeks back and the thing has some serious power for it's size. Clutch is right there as soon as you let the handle go, no slippage, and I'm getting about 320mi per tank. It's a 6spd, 54hp @ 32 ft lb, Liquid cooled. Shaft drive so you can run a ATV rear end

For my 2 1500s, they're VERY torquey (0-75mph in 8.5sec) and are super smooth. Bit of BLEEP to work on but for reliablilty and performance, so worth the money. You can prolly find one for around $200-400 depending on year. 1994 is the MOST desirable and best pick out of all of the GL1500 I/A/SE line. They're 105hp, 111 ft lb, 5spd, liquid cooled. Need the upper frame section to mount it to though. Shaft drive also.

3rd best option would be a '79-82 Suzuki GS850. I4, 76hp, 52ft lb, ('81/82 Had CV carbs and EIS, '79 was point). It was alright for it's size, a bit laggy in high gear

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Nothing is suicide as long as you have respect for the machine and no some common sense mainly throttle control and awesome brakes..............just look at my mini dragbike. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.