• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Suggestions on how to price my go kart for sale

erchuero

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some help pricing my go kart. The problem I know I am going to run into is that almost everyone out there looking on Facebook market place or craigslist are cheap a$$e$ and will MEVER pay asking price, most likely will just offer half at best... I am truly dreading selling this things.

It is a Manco intruder 2 that was converted to a single seater and I threw in a predator 420. It is stock except for a header and after market muffler and removal of the gas tank. Still has governor.

I got rid of the hex axle and welded in new mounts for a 1inch round axle. I also installed a dual master cylinder for brakes all around. There was a bit of fab work to get the engine to fit, and I had to fabricate new mounts for all 3 brake calipers. I also had to fabricate a custom steering setup since the pivot points for the suspension are so narrow I couldn't find a rack and pinion to even modify to narrow up the arm placement, so I made it from scratch.

All in all, after paying 650 for the frame, 400 for the motor, 400 for the 40 stores tav, and all other parts, I am in it for about 2100 - 2200 (I didn't keep receipts...)

I was hoping to sell it for like 2500 to 3000, but I am having serious doubts anyone will even bite. Just looking for suggestions, thanks!

I apologize for the mess, but I didn't have any recent pictures after I finished it, and didntbfeel like moving all my junk lol.

Attachments

• 167262020395980406218299695976.jpg
    167262020395980406218299695976.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Master Hack

Reaction score
Sadly fun things like this NEVER sell for total cost of the parts involved.
i’ve had cars karts and buggies and crawlers that l’ve put up for sale. On average
they have sold for 40 - 50% of the parts cost. Your time invested, well thats a freebie!
Pick your price and be patient!
It may take a while to find the right buyer.
l recently sold my rock crawler. I had $30k invested, sold it for $12.5K and was happy to get it. Took over a year to find the right buyer.
On the other side l had $50k worth of fun with it over many years!
Be patient, be firm and ingore the craiglist idiots that lowball ya!

erchuero

Reaction score
Sadly fun things like this NEVER sell for total cost of the parts involved.
i’ve had cars karts and buggies and crawlers that l’ve put up for sale. On average
they have sold for 40 - 50% of the parts cost. Your time invested, well thats a freebie!
Pick your price and be patient!
It may take a while to find the right buyer.
l recently sold my rock crawler. I had $30k invested, sold it for $12.5K and was happy to get it. Took over a year to find the right buyer.
On the other side l had $50k worth of fun with it over many years!
Be patient, be firm and ingore the craiglist idiots that lowball ya!
That is exactly what I was figuring, I've experienced this same thing selling other items, and I have little to no hoe to get move than 1000, even though ebgine and tav are 800 alone....

Rant incoming haha, what's messed up, I never see those types of deals... I wouldn't feel as bad selling at a loss if I had gotten some deals like that on the backend, but that never happens to me. Everything I see for sale is WELL above their cost, and I mean every single post, and it's all used junk...

Also, eveything on this cart except for the frame is brand new, I haven't even ridden it except for a test drive around the neighborhood.

Master Hack

Reaction score
there is a lot of overpriced junk out there. I have to wonder if threre are people stupid enough to pay those prices.
heres a tip - throw in the word “ vintage” thats good for another 90%.

Master Hack

Reaction score
Had a jet boat one time. Wanted to sell it when gas hit $2. Asking price $3500 (yeah a long time ago) No takers, lowered the price to $1000 over 18 months. No takers.
Parted it out on ebay finally. Made $5K

panchothedog

Reaction score
With all the side by side cars being manufactured, as well as all the quads, if a person wants to go off roading there are so many possibilities. Stuff that wasn't
even dreamed about when your Manco was built. I have bought and fixed up several 2 seat off road karts for my grandkids. The 2 that I have sold I have lost money on. The market for a hopped up and tricked out Manco Intruder is not only very small, but it is a GO KART market. Not at all the market that lays out
25 to 30 K for a side by side. I even own a Manco Intruder and while it is hopped up somewhat, nowhere as much as yours. I think you will be able to get between $1000 and maybe $1400 for it. Advertise it for $1550 and be ready to negotiate. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but you know yourself that most people shopping for a go kart want to spend about $400 to $700. And even though yours is bigger and more powerful, it's still a go kart.

erchuero

Reaction score
With all the side by side cars being manufactured, as well as all the quads, if a person wants to go off roading there are so many possibilities. Stuff that wasn't
even dreamed about when your Manco was built. I have bought and fixed up several 2 seat off road karts for my grandkids. The 2 that I have sold I have lost money on. The market for a hopped up and tricked out Manco Intruder is not only very small, but it is a GO KART market. Not at all the market that lays out
25 to 30 K for a side by side. I even own a Manco Intruder and while it is hopped up somewhat, nowhere as much as yours. I think you will be able to get between $1000 and maybe $1400 for it. Advertise it for $1550 and be ready to negotiate. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but you know yourself that most people shopping for a go kart want to spend about $400 to $700. And even though yours is bigger and more powerful, it's still a go kart.
Appreciate the insight, the go kart market is a niche. Side x sides may be much more expensive, but they are more practical than 3k for a go kart haha. I figured from the onset I wouldn't make my money. I bought it as a COVID project while I was stuck at home, learned to weld on it. So really I had my fun building it, that's really what it was for, I like the projects more than having fun riding it.

I would love to ride it, but I am from southern Cali and grew up riding Banshees in Glamis, back when your options were dit bike, quads or an old sand rail car with a VW motor, none of the razors or funco insane stuff. But I just miss that desert sand, I am not a fan of hard pack dirt or mud. The sand is the only thing I miss about Cali haha!