Stuck clutch

212predatorminibike

Reaction score
(Noob here) I have a minibike with a predator 212 engine and I bought a torque converter for it recently. I need to take off the torque converter so I’m able to take the governor off of the engine. I’ve taken the fist two parts of the torque converter off but I cant get this last part to side off of the drive shaft. When putting the torque converter on I had to hammer the part onto the driveshaft to get the key stuck in there so that’s probably why it’s stuck in there. I’ll put pictures for a better look. Anyone know how I could get this part unstuck or is it just done for? Thank you :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
You've likely ruined the clutch body with that hammer, so no worries about further damage. You can make a puller that holds onto the clutch with vise grips, or tack weld right to the the clutch. Picture an L-shaped piece of steel you could make out of flat bar stock, or from a piece of angle iron notched out for a bend, then tack welded into the L-shape. Drill a hole in the bent part to let a 3/8' or so bolt fit through it. Weld a 3/8" nut over the hole, so a bolt screwed through it can screw to the end of the shaft. Vise grip the L very tightly to the clutch, stick a washer in the end of the clutch to protect the shaft, and screw the bolt in to make contact with the shaft. Either the clutch will slide off, or the vise grips will slip because they're not tight enough.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
If you do have access to (buying a proper one's too expensive) a decent gear puller with 3 or 4 arms, the arms will grab the edges of the clutch and the center bolt screwed in to the shaft (put a washer between bolt tip and shaft to protect shaft) will pull it off.
Same story but a better choice if it fits, a hub puller would be the ideal tool. If it's big enough to fit over the end of the clutch, 4 bolts around the mouth of it screw tight to the outside of the clutch, center bolt works same as puller above. Don't forget the washer to protect shaft.
I absolutely advise against using a torch on the clutch, that's for rusty bolts and nuts. There's a rubber seal behind that clutch, and a torch would ruin it and maybe damage the bearing sitting there with it. Of course, your BFH banging on it before may have damaged the bearing already.
DAYTON Fan Blade/Wheel Puller, Cast Iron - 2PYL8|2PYL8 - Grainger
POSI LOCK Caged Jaw Puller, 5 t, 3 Jaw - 5U719|104 - Grainger