Street-legal electric go kart/car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Oh

Reaction score
I would like to make a street legal electric go kart with these parts:

Four 12volt 100AH GEL Deep-Cycle batteries - http://www.nationalsolarsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=178

1 E-Tek Motor - http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_motors_etek-r.php

1 CVT (Continuosly Variable Transmission) - Look on Wikipedea or HowStuffWorks.com

Hopefully a prebuilt frame I can buy cheap, or design. The frame has to have a very strong roll-cage.

1 Regen-braking systen would be choice to have.

LED Turn-Signals, ?Low-power Headlights, LED brake-lights, and proper BMV registration.

I'd like to hook this motor up to the CVT in a 48-volt configuration (Up to 4800 watts max). I seen some videos on youtube that give me hope to make a kart that will perform in terms of power and miles traveled before recharge. The idea is to keep this vehicle low-wieght, but not so low it can't hold to the road in a safe manner.

Thoughts? I'd think this will be kickass when completed.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You dont need a CVT for a electric motor. And the mounting holes and shaft size's are not right for the torque a verter.

Magice

Reaction score
What would you register it as? You can't register it as a car (I don't think).. Or a moped.

Joe_Oh

Reaction score
I plan to design my own CVT from scratch that will be able to fit the shaft of the motor. It will basicly look like two cones pointed at each other kinda like this with the belt driving the two:

>
<

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
If AZ is any indicator, they generally regard electric bicycles as "appliances" , but woe to he or she that uses a lower-performance gas motor... go figure? Regardless, if a lawmaker views an idea as a potential revenue-generator, you'll be forced to licence/register a rubberband powered skateboard.

Last edited:

Joe_Oh

Reaction score
Uhm, how do the motor and the combined power from the batteries look? Will they move this thing or what? I seen a 350watt kiddy electric go-kart on YouTube.com and it seemed to get 15mph. The weight of the kid was probably 60lbs + kart/batteries = 140lbs total.

My rig will be 4800 watts max, that's 13.714 times more power than that kiddy kart. Dont get me wrong it was schweet watching that kid ride that thing. Wish I had that when I was that age.

I figure the combined weight of my SLEGK (Street Legal Electric Go-Kart):

4 batteries = 268lbs (I seen another site with the same battery, it gave me the weight of 67lbs)
Frame = ?50lbs
4 Tires/rims (I plan to use 16" [total diameter] tires) = 80 lbs
Turn signals, Lights, steering wheel, seats, Speedometer ect = 30 lbs
CVT Unit = 10 lbs
Brakes = 40 lbs with rotors and system. (unless there is something better and lighter)

...And finnally Me = 200lbs

Totalling : 458lbs

Seems kinda light. But if it's right, I think this thing will go-Go-GO!

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Sorry I got off topic, Joe Oh.

With that motor you should more than fly. If you're familiar with Black & Decker rechargeable mowers, some of them have a 24v motor rated at a peak 5hp (4000w/165 amps). A friend built a tricycle with a pair of 150ahr batteries and no controller. When wired in parallel (12v) it'd go seemingly forever at about 14 mph and took hills,mud, sand, etc like it wasn't even there. On 24v, the thing flew. Never really did get to measure it, but it walked away from a scooter I had at the time that'd do 22mph topped out. In 12v mode, the motor was drawing about 25 amps on the level. I'm not sure if you're going to run yours as 48v or 24v, but the cool thing is, even if you have a monster motor (you do!) they only draw as much amps as they need, so your motor will be able to handle the extra amp-spikes of hills, acceleration, etc without burning up, but in cruise mode... it'll do pretty well.

If you're using a controller, I'd forgo the CVT. Most electrics make very close to the same torque at 1rpm as they do at full rpm; I think the cvt would add unnecessary complication. Just gear it for the top speed you need @ 3700 rpm.

As far as speed that you're looking for, it's hard to say what you can pull from an 8hp motor. I'd gear for 45mph and then closely monitor the motor's draw on level ground with an amp gauge. Why 45mph? Because electrics are more efficient than gas, and I've easily hit 45mph with a 6.5hp gas engine.

I think we were drawing about 30 amps on a 12v scooter thing I built at about 18mph, which would go through a 100amp deep cycle in about 2 hours of traveling.(35 miles.) You don't want to draw down a battery too far before it needs to be recharged.

What are your targets for range and speed?

Last edited:

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Hmmm. With 16" wheels, a 4>1 ratio would get you to 42 mph @ 3700 rpm and you'd have 88.5 ft lbs of starting torque at the tread, or 188 ft. lbs at the tread during peak motor draw. That's pretty darned good, considering that you'll be generating all that from the get-go, whereas a trashy kart with a 6.5 hp hf engine, 16" wheels and a 4.5>1 ratio generates 65 ft. lbs MAX at the rear wheel. It's no acceleration monster, but it's quick enough to keep up across intersections, etc. You'll have even more power than that, even with the extra weight. (Me and kart 310 lbs, you and kart 458lbs.)

Joe_Oh

Reaction score
JerryAB, I would like to hit at least highway speeds. But I prolly wont be using this kart on the HW unless it'll hit 75mph max.

As for the range, I would like to get 70 miles total on one charge. If there is a way to get more, I'd be open to suggestions.

I may consider adding 1 more battery to the system making it a 60V setup. How would that change things? More speed? More Torque?

Thanx-

One more thing, I was wondering, are the batteries shown good for a setup like this? I read that they are deep-cycle and are made for such. Of course I wont run them dry everytime, but how many charges can I get out of these types of batteries if I only use 80% of the charge at a time?

Joe_Oh

Reaction score
Btw, I wont be using a controller. They are too expensive where I can find a fat potenteometer. I just hope I can find one that can handle the max amps.

The goal of the CVT is to get more speed without the motor having to run at max RPM to do so. I want to make this motor last for a long time.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Running it its desihned full RPM isnt bad at all! and actually a CVT allows your motor to rev up even more because when it first starts up its a very geared down ratio

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Wow- 75 mph AND 70 mile range might prove to be a tall order. That's kind of what the major auto manufacturers are after, and they can't get it without resorting to expensive technologies. Please don't get me wrong- I'm not saying you can't do it, but it's not going to come easy. Hopefully Kibble can toss his 2 cents into the ring, because he's pretty dang sharp at this stuff. (Strapping lawn-motors onto bicycles is my speed limit!) JrDragsterTyler is right- that motor spinning 3700 rpm is nothing to worry about. You're biggest concern is keeping the constant and peak amp draw within limits, and making sure the motor gets the recommended cooling flow of air. (Both are factors of motor temperature, which is what we're really worried about.)

Kinda as an aside, is it 70 miles each way to work for you, or roundtrip? If roundtrip, plug it in while you're on shift- by the time you're off, it should be charged back up.

Either way, I hope this project is a success for you.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Btw, I wont be using a controller. They are too expensive where I can find a fat potenteometer. I just hope I can find one that can handle the max amps.

I hate to say this, but you're not gonna find a potentiometer that'll handle those kinds of amperages without burning up. Some sort of electronic controller would be the best thing. I've been wanting to make a relatively simple electronic controller for high amperage motors but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Joe_Oh

Reaction score
Well for now, my work is a 30 mile round trip and from what I'm hearing that'll be stretching it a bit.

Most likely I'll be using this kart just to goto the store, fast food joint, and other close-by places to give my truck a rest.

I know the importance of not draining batteries completely empty. But what I dont know is how much the batteries I shown in my first thread can take on a regular basis? Can I drain them 50, 60, 70% and they'll be ok before recharge? and how many cycles can I expect out of them.

Thanx-

Joe_Oh

Reaction score
I hate to say this, but you're not gonna find a potentiometer that'll handle those kinds of amperages without burning up. Some sort of electronic controller would be the best thing. I've been wanting to make a relatively simple electronic controller for high amperage motors but haven't gotten around to it yet.

how about the voltage? Surely I can find one that can do 60 volts and maybe 5 amps? If thats the case I can wire 20 of them togeather in parallel to protect them and get the desired effect. A lot of work, but a controller just isnt what I want to play with now-

Status
Not open for further replies.