Streaker rear brakes

matthewmiller259

Reaction score
Afternoon everyone. I have a streaker single seater i bought from a gentleman last weekend. Iv been having a hell of a time getting these brake pads replaced. The 2 set screws on both rotors are completely seized on. Being using heat, pb blaster and nothing will make them budge. Broke 2 allen head wrenches in the process. So then i started looking can i move each axle outwards to clear the caliper? Tried unbolting the 2 bearings on a left side and it feels like something is holding it in the differential. Any idea how to get that axle tube to move out? Getting pretty frustrated so figured id ask. Thanks in advance! 16856543202284510215575411819437.jpg16856543905694565259362031939276.jpg

Attachments

• 16856543616211293565982430001947.jpg
    16856543616211293565982430001947.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Wow a genuine Ken Bar Streaker STA-8. That thing is in GREAT shape, good score.

Not familiar with that particular model and I can't see much of the problem from the photos you posted, but someone more clever than me will come along.

I feel your pain about stuck-on, rusted-on parts. Rust is stronger than old welds sometimes so you may really be facing a big struggle session. A metric ton of harsh language may need to be applied and lots of patience....PLUS heat and PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench/WD-40 and several heat cycles and brute force to get it apart.

matthewmiller259

Reaction score
Wow a genuine Ken Bar Streaker STA-8. That thing is in GREAT shape, good score.

Not familiar with that particular model and I can't see much of the problem from the photos you posted, but someone more clever than me will come along.

I feel your pain about stuck-on, rusted-on parts. Rust is stronger than old welds sometimes so you may really be facing a big struggle session. A metric ton of harsh language may need to be applied and lots of patience....PLUS heat and PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench/WD-40 and several heat cycles and brute force to get it apart.
Thanks for the reply! Is this model pretty rare? I think tomorrow im going to unbolt the other side and try to drop the whole axle. Just want to change and adjust the crappy pads that are in it. Dont even care i cant move the rotor just cant get the caliper off. Iv done my fair share of auto work but the amount of parts incased in rust here has got me in a corner lol. Plus it being 90 degrees in my garage doesnt help either. I saw a video of a guy dropping this axle so im going to go that route

Hellion

Reaction score
No, not particularly rare, maybe, but Ken Bar isn't around anymore and no one else is making them like that. People don't take very good care of go karts it seems and if they're not in a landfill, they are decaying in tall grass.

Yours has a differential on the axle, eh?

Yeah definitely drop the axle. I wasn't sure if you had done that yet.

Hellion

Reaction score
Ah I missed your 3rd pic the first time around.

Is the wheel hub or something still attached to the outer end of the axle? I see rusty "hub", axle spacer and then the brake rotor in that order.

Edited to add: You are going to have to douse all that with penetrating oil and apply propane heat from a torch in an attempt to get those parts off so you can slide the brake rotor off. High heat makes the rusted on parts expand so that helps them break free.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
We just went through this on another kart you cannot remove the diff without sliding the bearings that go into the hangers on the axle. If they don’t slide the differential doesn’t come out. Next is this a proud to be an American model? Or did someone already cut the plaque off the front?? hope this person doesn’t disappear he has an awesome kart! Ps... that sucker doesn’t happen to have an electric start 11hp briggszilla on the back does it?C31D0D10-256E-4D0C-865F-E3CC4242D5B7.jpeg

Last edited: