Streaker kart gearing test success!

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Looks like I got rained out. :censored:
Well I guess that’s more time for soaking in penetrating oil.

I guess I just remove the left wheel? I might have gotten really lucky on this kart, it looks kinda like it has split rims. Maybe not, though. According to the guy I bought it from is was bought from an estate sale of some guy. It was probably a cruiser for the grandkids.

Edit: that sprocket looks terrifying.
Remove the center nut and it will all slide off. Do not take the hub off the tire without letting the air out. if It’s a split rim and you remove the four clamping nuts from the hub studs you might get a nice pop. it might not though. I’ve always just let the air out of them before taking off the hub.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Remove the center nut and it will all slide off. Do not take the hub off the tire without letting the air out. if It’s a split rim and you remove the four clamping nuts from the hub studs you might get a nice pop. it might not though. I’ve always just let the air out of them before taking off the hub.
Thanks for telling me that, I’d like to not get hurt. Despite being mid-day ‘round here, it looks like it’s nighttime. Lotsa clouds. Maybe I’ll get to work on it Sunday…

bullseye670

Reaction score
Hey BaconBit, I haven't followed your threads all that closely but If your looking for a motor for a build I would suggest you look into powerwashers on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. that's where I find mine. I found a super clean gx390 for $100 about 2 weeks ago. One in that condition is kinda hard to come by for $100 but they are out there. I've got 4 of them right now. The higher psi Dewalts had gx390's on them. Smaller ones had gx200's. The pumps always go bad way before the motor has any issues. It was a challange to get the pump off the crank on the last one but it was well worth it.:p
(Sorry, I was replying to a post that was a few posts back)

Attachments

• IMG_20230308_120411516_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230308_120411516_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230308_133421600.jpg
    IMG_20230308_133421600.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Hey BaconBit, I haven't followed your threads all that closely but If your looking for a motor for a build I would suggest you look into powerwashers on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. that's where I find mine. I found a super clean gx390 for $100 about 2 weeks ago. One in that condition is kinda hard to come by for $100 but they are out there. I've got 4 of them right now. The higher psi Dewalts had gx390's on them. Smaller ones had gx200's. The pumps always go bad way before the motor has any issues. It was a challange to get the pump off the crank on the last one but it was well worth it.:p
(Sorry, I was replying to a post that was a few posts back)
Very nice! Thanks for the advice, I know these Honda engines really hold together and last longer than their Chinese counterparts.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
that is just a sprocket/brake hub. so ya if you can flip it from picture one to be oriented like picture two and realign the brake rod then the sprockets should line up with an inboard clutch now.
View attachment 136658View attachment 136659
I don’t think this is going to work. The band brake ‘horseshoe’ has a lower attachment point that is right in the way. If you need pictures I can get them.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
After some time and thinking, I’m pretty sure the only way to mount a TC is to get a custom engine mount. My current mount is only 8inches long and so no tractor mount and flipping the sprocket doesn’t work due to the anchor point for the brake band. I might have to go with a clutch for the time being ’till I can weld. Build thread coming soon.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
After some time and thinking, I’m pretty sure the only way to mount a TC is to get a custom engine mount. My current mount is only 8inches long and so no tractor mount and flipping the sprocket doesn’t work due to the anchor point for the brake band. I might have to go with a clutch for the time being ’till I can weld. Build thread coming soon.
Yupp I built my first streaker clutch outboard and when I went to stuff the T/C on it I found out how I messed up. And pulled it all apart to swap it. I’ll watch for the build thread!