Stock gx390 motor

Abtheman28

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Upgrading from my old clone gx200 to a gx390 clone motor. Question is where do I begin with engine mods? I know governor removal appears to be a very common mod in order to gain higher RPMs... any help would be appreciated.

I'm also running 48 teeth on the axle gear and 14 via centrifugal clutch via chain drive ... unsure how this will run as still waiting on the engine. Pretty sure Tyre size is 8 inch. If anyone can help steer me in the right direction with correct gearing for my set up that would be cool. I'm looking for good bottom end torque plus top end speed.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
You should try out the gear ratio you already have, and decide from there if you want to change it. Existing setup is for higher top speed, less torque. The torque you want would best be found in changing from straight clutch drive to a 40 series torque converter, aka a Constant Variable Transmission. Here's a Chinese example.............
40 Series Torque Converter Driver Driven Clutch Kit for Go Kart Pulley 7.5-13HP 6923487092341 | eBay
Add on the cost of a genuine Comet belt, since there's almost no comparison to the cheap Chinese belts those TC's come with. Learn all about TC's and belts on this site, read all of the top, then scroll all the way down and read all of the bottom..................
Comet Drive Belts | Comet Torque Converter Belts | Go Kart Belts (gokartsupply.com)

panchothedog

Reaction score
Of you want to gain rpm after gov. removal you need stiffer valve springs, a cam with more duration and depending on how stiff the springs are possibly stronger push rods. Then of you want to keep it together an aftermarket
(ARC) flywheel and rod.