starting to getting into smelting

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
i have a crappy furnace. in ground that is open. lots of heat lose. did it for free and little stuff. its powered by wood and a bed inflator. ill post pics up tomorrow as tonight is dark and LIGHTNING STORMS!!! lol its summer too. looks really cool.

let me here your thoughts.

also just gonna melt aluminum and cast it till i can get or make an oil burner

souperman000

Reaction score
thats really cool. I have always thought of getting into blacksmithing, done it once and was amazed at all the different tools and things you could make if you put your mind to it.

What do you want to do with your smelting?

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
oh just make somethings for fun. aluminum throwing stars? make stuff try and find some buyers make alittle cash. hopefully more than just recycling the aluminum. using soda cans for aluminum. yes its bad to but all i got and easy to take the slag out

ill also post pics of the things i make. so i will be updating this regularly.

only doing this when i dont have money to work on my mini bike or mini chopper

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Sounds like fun.

im starting to fiddle around with trying to make some knives...

Still need to treat it and see if the metal I used will work or not. I dont know what it is, just 1/4in X 24in piece... Hpoefully it works, then I could make 5-6 blades per piece.

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
cool cool. both posts. im trying to make a wmo burner. so instead of taking in old oil i can just burn it for my other hobby. slightly more dangerous hobby

newrider3

Reaction score
Aluminum casting is a lot of fun. There are tons of plans online for building a cheap furnace. I've thought about building one, but I'm just looking forward to playing with the full size foundry at school this year :devil2:

Sounds like fun.

im starting to fiddle around with trying to make some knives...

Still need to treat it and see if the metal I used will work or not. I dont know what it is, just 1/4in X 24in piece... Hpoefully it works, then I could make 5-6 blades per piece.

Rather than use regular old plate steel, get your hands on a bunch of old dull files. They are already the right shape for a knife blank, and they are the right carbon steel alloy for a good blade.

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
lucky get a full size foundry at school. no schools around here has anything like that. well highschools anyway. the closest they come to anything is a machine shop but that is a small one

newrider3

Reaction score
Not a high school, that's why. I'm majoring in Metallurgy and Materials Engineering so there's plenty of foundry classes I could take.

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
nice nice. i dont even know of a college around here that has a foundry. i know of a foundry business but no college

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Rather than use regular old plate steel, get your hands on a bunch of old dull files. They are already the right shape for a knife blank, and they are the right carbon steel alloy for a good blade.

Yeah, I have a few of those too, Ill get around to em sooner or later.

I enjoy beating the everlovin tar from a piece of metal, who doesnt like smashing things with big hammers?
:roflol:

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
I enjoy beating the everlovin tar from a piece of metal, who doesnt like smashing things with big hammers?
:roflol:

I know right? For some reason its just enjoyable. I'm in the process of beating a 1" pry/crow bar into a broad sword and its a good work out with a 4lb hammer. Still haven't figured out if its legal in Ontario yet :ack2:

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
"its legal till they catch you" haha. so just dont get caught with it.

Tomorrow I will for sure have some pics of the furnace up. i just havnt got out much lately. havnt been getting alot of sleep. I also might get a couple pics of it going too.

mckutzy

Reaction score
As an old wise man told me once, Dont hit the blue steel.
A newb to the forging arts you will at some time make this mistake. keep the forged metal hot, as in cherry red hot whenever you smite the steel.

If you are going to melt Aluminum. make sure there is absolutely no presence of moisture in the pot with the metal being heated and in the mold if your going to be using a green sand technique.

A good pattern making material is that thick blue or pink foam insulation board you get from home depot, its for cladding out side of houses underneath the siding. With that stuff, make your part,drill, cut, glue pieces to expand parts, whatever... then place it in the casting flask and pour sand over that. make sure to have your sprue, gates and vents( use a coat hanger to poke a few holes into the casting form, from the top)

Try to get some welding leathers or foundry gear. A face shield and safety glasses is a must aswell as heavy leather gloves(pipeliners). Do not wear anything synthetic for clothing aswell as footwear (wear work boots).

One thing that i think about whenever I do some casting, weather lead for bullets or getting a bigger melt for aly, is have an exit plan if something goes wrong. Making sure the area is clean and clear to move about unobstructed is a good work setup. if your on fire you want a clear run to the hose to douse your self out, not having to move junk or trip on tools, wires or hoses while in an emergency situation. also have a helper or closely watching audience with out protection is not a good idea unless they are far away (10-15ft is a good start).

Well those are just some of the things off the top of my head. any more questions ask or pm me. good luck and stay safe.

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
finally got off my lazy butt and got some pics of it

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 22

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
well my blower is a piece of crap and dont really work. ive put it on hold till i can get a better blower

machinist@large

Reaction score
well my blower is a piece of crap and dont really work. ive put it on hold till i can get a better blower

:devil2:Got a leaf blower?:roflol:

Seriously, though, a shop vac with the filter removed is more than enough to melt aluminum using charcoal for fuel. A piece of duct tape over the canister inlet (where the hose would normally go) serves as the throttle. Just make sure you tape a steel tube to the end of the hose (plugged into the outlet of the vac). Just keep an eye on the motor so it doesn't over heat, and you are good to go.

Good luck:cheers2:

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
dont have a shop vac that has inlet outlet like that. just a place for an inlet hose. but hopefully soon i will get it all sorted out

porsche930dude

Reaction score
Iv been expearimenting with this myself. I just melt the aluminum with a oxy propane torch in a tank cap. Works nice. I even melted down some copper in it but I think it needs some insulation to get it totally melted and pourable. Next step is the mold and making some green sand. Iv been carving some wood to make a form for a key chain design i have in mind.

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
i had to demolish the furnace. but once i move i will make another one. a better designed one that burns waste oil so i can melt some steel

Status
Not open for further replies.