• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

should I buy it or not

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
so I found a snowmobile on fb for 50$ no seat and it does not run should I buy it? It is a trail Indy. 2 pistons and 2 carbs. broken pull start.

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
I'd be cautious, very cautious. Broken pullstart might be the same as a worn out kickstart, or bad starter motor, which indicates starting issues. Those might be something as simple as a bad plug, or a gummed carb, or it could be internal (ie, crank or rod bearings, or worn out cylinder/rings), which isn't usually cheap. I'd at least see if there's a way to turn the engine over without the pull start. That'll tell you if it's free and if it has compression. Keep in mind that if there's little to no compression it'll need a new top end, and if it's seized, it'l likely need both a new top end, and a new bottom end. And at $50, someones trying to get rid of it fast. So it'll probably give you some headaches. Or it could be cursed like my warrior.

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
Well, a new gx270 might cost about as much as the rebuild parts for the original engine, plus a gx270 isn't nearly as powerful as those snowmobile engines, so it'll probably struggle without the right gearing, and you'd need a new cvt since the snowmobile's is setup for an engine that can rev over 9k, and gx270 turn 3600 stock. But it is doable, and would be cheaper if you got/have one that is used. Though the snowmobile would be slower than sock.

Ah, my warrior was rode hard and put away wet as the old expression goes. My dad rode it a bit too hard. Though internally its fine as far as I can tell (150psi of compression), but it has starting problems caused by something in the carb or the valves being out of adjustment, and I think the starters getting worn out because it's cranking a bit slow. Occasionally it'll idle for a minute or two, but as soon as it gets into the high speed jet it looses all of it's power because it's running rich. And those carbs are a bit above my skill level at the moment.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
yes I have a 270 actually 2. how high does a 270 rev with no gov. I have never ridden a snow mo bile before so if it's a little slow that's fine. how fast do you think it would go with a 270?

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
I don't know how high the gx270'll rev ungoverned, though I'd say it should at least be somewhere north of 4500. I'm not sure of what of top speed to expect, but Yamaha makes a 123cc 4-stroke snowmobile that does 8mph. So it should be able to go that fast with a 270, but it all depends on gearing. There's a sweet spot between too much reduction and too little. Too much reduction will give it more torque, but not as much speed. Too little, and on paper it'll be faster, but in reality it'll burn the clutch or belt.

Fyi, I don't have much real world hands on experience with snowmobiles, though I have been doing some research in case I find one while I'm up north at some point. But I live in Florida. Lots of dirt bikes, quads and SxS's, but no snowmobiles. Though a sandmobile world be great.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
how fast do you think it'll go with the original engine running? how heavy is a snowmobile, can I put it in a f250 8ft bed?

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
About the smallest Indy that Polaris sells at the moment (that's a twin cylinder) is limited to 50mph, but being that the one you're looking at is older, I think it's safe to say that 40 should be reachable. The current lineup of the Indy's range from 400 to 530 depending on the model. The length is going to vary, so if you're interested in it, I'd contact the seller and ask if they could measure it for you.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
ok thanks I think I'll get it even if I can't get it to run I'll learn about 2 cycle engines and snowmobiles. how would you propose I get it into a lifted f250?

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
I'll keep you posted. It appears someone else is going to go check it out but I hope they aren't ready for the weight of the snowmobile. Both my parents are doing things today but I will try and get a ride with a friend.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
drat drat drat double drat! someone got the arctic cat 5 mins ago. but 50$ gokart is go can you tell anything from the frame? going to get it tomorrow

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
got the 50 $ gokart and will post pics. also how do you do enter the build off for 2020. I saw the password but I don't get it or what it is for.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
how much would it cost to ship, and from where? If it's more than like 50$ probably not. also I don't think my dad would let me at the moment. but thanks anyway. you could post in the for sale section.

Ext580

Reaction score
You can put a rope around the primary clutch and start the engine that way. There are you tube videos showing how, its common when the pull start breaks while riding.

I advise to briefly run it with starting fluid, too long and you might risk hurting the engine. Also a snowmobile is very very heavy. You will need more than two people, especially if the truck is lifted. Also if the track is studded it will tear up your concrete if u drag it.

Good luck, that engine would be great to have.