Shifter kart pulse pump NPT brass fitting

Braydon.a68

Reaction score
Hello!
New to the forums so I’m just getting a grasp of things.

Anyways, I was wondering about the NPT brass fitting I’m using for my fuel pump on my homemade shifter kart. Specifically, what’s the best way to seal it and keep it from backing out due to vibrations? I have drilled and tapped a hole into the head of my motor infront of the carb near the reed valves (copying the KZ race kart fuel system directly), and had originally Teflon taped it and tightened it down. However, because of the vibrations (using a ‘77 YZ400 2-stroke so lots of vibrations) it rattled loose and created a ‘vacuum’ leak which in turn allowed extra air into the cylinder turning it way lean and burned hot and had a kind of a runaway motor (was able to choke it after hitting kill switch and ripping the spark plug boot off only to realize it didn’t kill it). What should I use to keep it in? Also I’m thinking Teflon tape might not have been enough either and was thinking Teflon paint or something else to seal it. I’d like to hear what you all have to say.

Cheers!

anickode

Reaction score
Teflon tape is a lubricant, not a sealant. Common misconception.

Loctite 545 purple thread sealant would be a good choice. It's made for hydraulics and pneumatics. High working pressure, and will cure on oil contaminated surfaces.