Set screws and locking collar question

NOOBGKB

Reaction score
Hello All,

My build is coming along nicely but I just recently ran into an issue that I am not sure what the best solution would be. Please help!

The issue:
How do I keep the rear axle from sliding in the bearings.

Possible solution:
Set the set screws on the axle that came with the bearings and put locking collars on both sides of the bearing hangers if space allows.

The question/s:
1. Can the set screws on the bearings be screwed down into the keyway or do they need to be on the round part of the axle?
- I know the set screws are there to help hold the axle in place by way of friction.

2. Do I also need a locking collar on each side of the bearing hangers?
- I currently have a locking collar on the inside of both rear hubs, both sides of the sprocket and both sides of the brake.

TIA,
NOOBGKB

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Excellent work on putting locking collars on BOTH sides of components. Always do that if you can make room for it, plan for doing it.
However, I notice you didn't specify DOUBLE-SPLIT locking collars. That's a huge problem. Means your setscrewing divots into your axle. And don't EVER screw a setscrew into a keyway or the keystock in it. You shouldn't torque ANY setscrews down tight enough to divot the steel axle, that's what DOUBLE-SPLIT locking collars are for. There aren't any setscrews in them, they're 2-piece halves with 2 bolts that squeeze the halves together on the axle. No divots to grind off.
You also don't ever have to slide any bearings or sprockets or brake discs across your divots to get it all off the axle to slide some locking collars on. DOUBLE-SPLITS just slap on (2 pieces) anywhere you want in 5 seconds. You let them stop the axle from sliding by being on preferably both sides of a bearing, with the setscrews in the bearing just barely tight.
You'll see (18) of the 3/4" and 1" black oxide double-splits and (12) bearings all over my kart's axle, swingarms, jackshaft.
3/4” BORE DOUBLE SPLIT STEEL (10 PCS)CLAMPING SHAFT COLLAR BLACK OXIDE free ship | eBay
1” DOUBLE SPLIT STEEL NEW CLAMPING SHAFT COLLAR BLACK OXIDE (Qty 4) Free Ship | eBay
4 Pcs Premium Unit 1 inch Bore Self-align Pillow Block Bearing UCP 205-16 Tool | eBay
UCP204-12 Pillow Block Bearing 3/4" Bore 2 Bolt Solid Base (8PCS) 762931495569 | eBay

Attachments

• 100_0169.JPG
    100_0169.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 100_0165.JPG
    100_0165.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

NOOBGKB

Reaction score
Excellent work on putting locking collars on BOTH sides of components. Always do that if you can make room for it, plan for doing it.
However, I notice you didn't specify DOUBLE-SPLIT locking collars. That's a huge problem. Means your setscrewing divots into your axle. And don't EVER screw a setscrew into a keyway or the keystock in it. You shouldn't torque ANY setscrews down tight enough to divot the steel axle, that's what DOUBLE-SPLIT locking collars are for. There aren't any setscrews in them, they're 2-piece halves with 2 bolts that squeeze the halves together on the axle. No divots to grind off.
You also don't ever have to slide any bearings or sprockets or brake discs across your divots to get it all off the axle to slide some locking collars on. DOUBLE-SPLITS just slap on (2 pieces) anywhere you want in 5 seconds. You let them stop the axle from sliding by being on preferably both sides of a bearing, with the setscrews in the bearing just barely tight.
You'll see (18) of the 3/4" and 1" black oxide double-splits and (12) bearings all over my kart's axle, swingarms, jackshaft.
3/4” BORE DOUBLE SPLIT STEEL (10 PCS)CLAMPING SHAFT COLLAR BLACK OXIDE free ship | eBay
1” DOUBLE SPLIT STEEL NEW CLAMPING SHAFT COLLAR BLACK OXIDE (Qty 4) Free Ship | eBay
4 Pcs Premium Unit 1 inch Bore Self-align Pillow Block Bearing UCP 205-16 Tool | eBay
UCP204-12 Pillow Block Bearing 3/4" Bore 2 Bolt Solid Base (8PCS) 762931495569 | eBay
Sorry, let me clarify. All my collars are split collars.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
If you're saying they're what's sold as "split collars" or sometimes as "single-split collars", a solid ring with a single cut through it and a setscrew or two, they're not what you need. The exceptions are the ones with no setscrews that squeeze onto the axle, which still have to be slid on from the end of the axle. 3/4” Inch Single Split Shaft Stop Collar - Black Oxide Finish(Qty 2) FREE Ship | eBay
What's sold only as "double-split collars" that are 2 pieces and have no setscrews is what's all over my kart. Which is it?
3/4" Bore Double Split Shaft Collar Black Oxide Set Screw Style (2 PCS) 799789046988 | eBay

NOOBGKB

Reaction score
If you're saying they're what's sold as "split collars" or sometimes as "single-split collars", a solid ring with a single cut through it and a setscrew or two, they're not what you need. The exceptions are the ones with no setscrews that squeeze onto the axle, which still have to be slid on from the end of the axle. 3/4” Inch Single Split Shaft Stop Collar - Black Oxide Finish(Qty 2) FREE Ship | eBay
What's sold only as "double-split collars" that are 2 pieces and have no setscrews is what's all over my kart. Which is it?
3/4" Bore Double Split Shaft Collar Black Oxide Set Screw Style (2 PCS) 799789046988 | eBay
They are split collars that have two hex screws that squeeze the shaft. The only thing that has set screws are the bearings. They have a built in collar that has set screws. But all the split collars I have are two piece black oxide collars with the hex bolts that squeeze the axle when tightened. Also they do not have to be slid on, if I take the two hex bolts out they are then two pieces that can be put in place and then tightened to squeeze the axle.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
You've got the best. Like I said, both sides of everything if space permits. You do realize it wouldn't matter 2 poops if you lost the bearings' setscrews. As long as there's collars on both sides it ain't sliding, and that's all the setscrews are for. No effect on bearing rotation.

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
Like said never set screw into keyway.

I always will place the part with set screw removed. Them use a drill bit that is smaller than thread and dimple the axle full diameter of drill bit. This allows set screw to bite into the drilled pilot hole and not the axle shaft surface. If you dimple axle shaft surface because you just cranked on set screw, then you have to beat off parts because axle is now scuffed.

Definitely dimple drill parts for set screws.

Did that make sense? Just posted an example so set screw messes up the surface below axle surfacegbdimple.jpg