Securing carrier to axle

Sicosyco

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've made a carrier for my sprocket as I couldn't find one that would match the mounting holes on the sprocket. I've made a keyway in the carrier and matching keyway in the axle.
I'm trying to think of a way to secure the carrier to stop it sliding along the axle without resorting to tack welding it.
Anybody overcome this before with an amazing idea? I really don't want to weld it for obvious reasons.

anickode

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've made a carrier for my sprocket as I couldn't find one that would match the mounting holes on the sprocket. I've made a keyway in the carrier and matching keyway in the axle.
I'm trying to think of a way to secure the carrier to stop it sliding along the axle without resorting to tack welding it.
Anybody overcome this before with an amazing idea? I really don't want to weld it for obvious reasons.

Drill into the carrier radially and tap for 2 set screws. One over the keyway and one 90° from it.

Or use some Loctite 580 if you REALLY want it to stay.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Hi all,

Another option may be to get/use some "lock collars" :thumbsup:
…use (1) on each side of your "carrier"

BMI has them (~$2.00 ea.) :cheers2:
https://www.bmikarts.com/1-Piece-Steel-Lock-Collar_p_1103.html

Sicosyco

Reaction score
Thanks. Due to the design the radial drill idea won't work in my case but those lock collars are perfect. Thanks both for the suggestions. Now to see if I can get them here in the UK.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

How quick was that! 2 lock collars ordered in the UK. Thanks again FA!

ol'joe

Reaction score
Normally they are called "shaft collars" in the catalogs, and I betcha any guy who can machine his own sprocket hub can machine his own shaft collars in half the time or less :) ….Joe