Rusted and bent tie rod removal

Shmeaf

Reaction score
I would like to know how to remove a rusted together, tie rod that has bent and makes it hard to steer, replacing it shouldn't be a problem.

Shmeaf

Reaction score
Here is a picture of it

Attachments

• 33923517-9929-4D9D-A173-3B109BE2FEA1.jpeg
    33923517-9929-4D9D-A173-3B109BE2FEA1.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 0BC5D3E3-3BB7-4FEE-92AC-2BA6658093E5.jpeg
    0BC5D3E3-3BB7-4FEE-92AC-2BA6658093E5.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Where is the rust preventing the parts from moving?

I would maybe start with hitting the worst areas with a wire wheel to remove some of the surface rust. Then use some penetrating oil and let it sit for a while, trying to move the parts every now and then to get things moving.

Can you not just unbolt everything? Tie rods are sometimes not too hard to straighten, so you could try that too when you get them off.

Make sure that your spindles aren't bent too. Sometimes if you have bent tie rods it means that it has been in an accident and the potential of other bent parts is high

Shmeaf

Reaction score
The screws and bolts have been in place for years, used box wrenches to remove the engine(going to replace it) and the bolts move as one piece, got help with that, that I will try. It was my neighbors, for there grandchildren, and has just been sitting for years. Tires will be replaced soon, replaced the break line because it was cut off of the break mechanism. So it’s a renovation in progress right now.