Rust removal methods.

Cartinfun

Reaction score
The problem with using electrolysis is you run several risks. Explosive hydrogen fumes, explosion and fire from power supply and hydrogen embrittlement to the steel. Plus it is like electroplating (chroming) it only works line of sight. Meaning it will not go around corners or into tubes or tight spaces unless they are in the line of sight.
Maybe that's why it didn't work with my rusted on wheel. I was watching a video about it before I did it and they were saying the powder you use determines what gas it produces. I used washing soda I think. I left my garage door partially open with fans blowing and checked on it often. It still got away from me and melted the jumper cables I was using. If I were to try it again I would likely do it in the back yard instead of garage.

Karttekk

Reaction score
This guy likes Rust Kutter. I used it when I put rocker panel covers, a rear bumper impact bar and fabricated both dog legs on our Granddaughter's Buick Century. There was a bunch of rust under the rear of that car, this stuff converted the iron oxide to iron phosphate. I painted over it with Rustoleum spray paint after it dried. I'm happy with it.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Most of those products are better at treating metal and rust to slow it down, but will do nothing to remove it. That being said you should still use them after the cleaning off of rust to prevent new rust from forming.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You loosely ball up some aluminum foil. Dump some coke on it ( has to be genuine Coca-Cola). And scrub away in your rusty chrome pieces wetting with more Coke along the way. The phosphoric acid in it reacts with the foil to eat the rust away. It also attracts ants unless done in a sink.

pearl111

Reaction score
You loosely ball up some aluminum foil. Dump some coke on it ( has to be genuine Coca-Cola). And scrub away in your rusty chrome pieces wetting with more Coke along the way. The phosphoric acid in it reacts with the foil to eat the rust away. It also attracts ants unless done in a sink.
I'm guessing a light steel wool pad would scratch the chrome up.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Yes it would but also then you don’t get the needed chemical reaction from no aluminum foil is my understanding also. Plus the foil is much softer so less chance of scratching the much harder chrome.

pearl111

Reaction score
Yes it would but also then you don’t get the needed chemical reaction from no aluminum foil is my understanding also. Plus the foil is much softer so less chance of scratching the much harder chrome.
Just like using bronze brushes for cleaning your firearms.
Always use a softer metal clean device then the finished surface your cleaning.

cswansen12

Reaction score
I would write a song about pb blaster but I can't think of how to word it. Basically just PB blaster the crap out of it and eventually it will free up.