Rupp minibike find

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Another free find....

Learned about this one from my dad after work today, he talked to the neighbor and he had seen us going up and down the street on the mowers and had an old minibike if I wanted it.

A few hours later I drove down and learned it's been sitting for the last 12 years in the woods.

Snapchat-1152741021.jpg

Here's on the way home, bike's small enough to pick up by hand.

20210626_140529.jpg20210626_140536.jpg20210626_140929.jpg20210626_141011.jpg

Here's some of the crust, hard to see but the decal has a faded "P" on it, which is how I figured out it was a Rupp. As well as the 5hp tecumseh HS50 and other crust.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The wheels on that thing if not cracked and you can mount a tire on them are worth several hundred dollars each! Score! Rupps are worth good money. Don’t modify it.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Ravage it or restore it? If resto, I hope you bend those forks back out again. The "Chopper" sticker isn't on a "chopper" frame, must allude only to a rake of the forks to get a little extension look.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Yep, looks like a Rupp Chopper. It has variously been known as "Continental Cub", "Cub", "Cub C-220" or "Rascal" over the years, well as "Chopper". It was Rupp's econo model for several years and could also be had in kit form.

The original motor(s) was a 2 1/2 HP Tecumseh, lol

I'd "restore" it as far as you can go (because Rupp parts are $$$) with an eye on preservation at the very least. You can do a lot of good with some #000 and #0000 steel wool on the rusty chrome along with metal polish, etc.

The 1969 and 1970 catalogs list it as "Chopper" with the color being orange, or "Grabber Orange" as the ad copy states.
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/rupp1969cat.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/rupp1970cat.pdf

The "Chopper" sticker isn't on a "chopper" frame, must allude only to a rake of the forks to get a little extension look.

Nah, the Chopper name alludes strictly to the name it was given from the factory.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Still plenty of work left but in the last week I've got her running.
20210702_224518.jpg
New throttle cable and wheel bearings. Had the rest.

Started off with removing the old engine and chain. That engine will need a rebuild, have the parts but a project for another day.
20210630_205450.jpg20210630_205457.jpg
Following that was removing the stuck throttle. The bar had rusted under the throttle and wasn't allowing it to twist. I had to heat it and tap on it to get it to slide off. Cleaned the bars and some grease and good to go.

The rear wheel needed bearings as one was locked up so I knocked those out and popped the new ones in. Currently both tires/tubes hold air.

I used the clutch off my Am. express and extra chain as well as the Clinton 3.5hp engine that had previously been on one of the karts.
20210702_224513.jpg