Rotax Initiative Project... or "R.I.P."!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Probably. This A--hole has all of this cool stuff rotting out in the weather. he's one of those types that says "nothing's for sale because it's too valuable" to him, but he parts with stuff for $$$$ all the time. Don't be dumb enough to ask prices, because you get into one of the stupidest bartering transactions that makes buying from a used car dealer seem like a lemonade stand purchase from the neighbors kid. When I took these pictures, he was afraid I'd hurt /ruin the bike. ...and leaving it to rot in the AZ dust/sun/rain won't?!?!?

This is AZ Snake-Oil salesmanship at it's finest. Best to just take pix and be on your way.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Okay... taking baby steps here- but every other project I've done starts with a crappy sketch!

The idea behind this is a bike that looks like a Speedway Racer, and is built around the Rotax 299cc, motor. This is the best I have come up with: I want to run 18"/19" rear/front rims on it, the torque converter is a must, and I tried to match the proportions of the bike pictured earlier in this thread. The smaller pipes are 1" square tubing, the thicker stuff is 2", and the forks will be built from 1.5" stuff. This will all hinge around locating and purchasing the steering head assembly from a trashed but title-able bike; and locating a pair of wheel assemblies cheap enough. This project is WAY down the line, and remains in the engine section for now.
I might "build up" the frame in Bryce some time- just to give a better idea of what's going on here.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Updates... Still don't know if this should all just be moved to the Projects Thread or not. Sorry about starting it here.

These are some renderings in Bryce of what I'm after.
There are a couple of frustrations to it, but all-in-all, this is going together more like the "Original Vision" than the LowRider2 did. The wheelbase is longer than the Speedway bike's, because the secondary clutch HAS to fit between the rear wheel and motor, which HAS to fit behind the front wheel. The wheels are based on more readily available rims/tires, so they don't quite have that "Spindly Look" of the Speedway bike, either. You'll see one of the rear uprights has been offset about 3" to the outside, to clear the secondary pulley. This won't affect anything but the looks, as the rest of the frame is only 8" wide.

As this progresses, I'll keep you all up to date.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Funny you should say that. A friend is giving me his old Kawasaki KZ 1000 to rob parts from. (Wheels, brakes, front fork assembly.....) This is going to be on hold til Colorado. (Keeping my eyes on The Prize right now.)

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Probably. This A--hole has all of this cool stuff rotting out in the weather. he's one of those types that says "nothing's for sale because it's too valuable" to him, but he parts with stuff for $$$$ all the time. Don't be dumb enough to ask prices, because you get into one of the stupidest bartering transactions that makes buying from a used car dealer seem like a lemonade stand purchase from the neighbors kid. When I took these pictures, he was afraid I'd hurt /ruin the bike. ...and leaving it to rot in the AZ dust/sun/rain won't?!?!?

This is AZ Snake-Oil salesmanship at it's finest. Best to just take pix and be on your way.

Sounds like this A-Hole bike WRECKER owner I was trying to get a deal on a entire XR250R engine. He says "Ohh yeah I got a entire motor in the shop" We go there to take it off his hands for say $200 because hes probably just some wrecker that just scraps bikes right. Wrong, We get there and we ask to see the motor and he says It's in the box over there. We look in the box just to find the crankshaft and cylinder head. That's all I REALY need to repair mine because the case's are all good. So we ask him "I thought you had a entire motor?" He says "Ohh yeah but parts are getting rare these days for these parts!" Anyway so fair enough lets make him a offer for the crank and head. He wants $500 ATLEAST for a 28 year old worn out crank and head. He also said BEFORE we thought about buying it all old used parts will be worn out realy bad but HIS crank and head he was astonished by the condition. Bull:censored:

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Funny you should say that. A friend is giving me his old Kawasaki KZ 1000 to rob parts from. (Wheels, brakes, front fork assembly.....) This is going to be on hold til Colorado. (Keeping my eyes on The Prize right now.)

Hows the engine on it? there real easy to work on (minus carbs) and that would make a real nice powerplant for a kart. Im using a kz400 in mine.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
YUP! Hey Tyler! - you got this guy nailed perfect. If you're ever just South of Payson in AZ, you'll know you found the place.

Hey, Kapn Krunch! No clue about the motor on the Kawi- it's complete without carbs, but I think my friend wants to keep that part. I have no use for it, myself. I just want the rims, fork, brakes, etc. This project id truly years from getting started. We have way too much LIFE stuff going on right now to start anything else. I have shed full of parts that I've been gathering for it though.....

anderkart

Reaction score
Hey Jerry, I made the mistake of trying to deal with those tweekers up in Rye Az. too. My old XR200 had been missing its kick stand since the 80's and I swung by that same bike junk yard trying to find one. They told me to look around the yard for one and after an hour of searching I finally found a totally bent up, rusted early-80's XR200 bare frame that was half buried in the mud. The kick stand was bent, rusted, seized and missing its spring. The whole time I'd been searching, one of the employees (we'll call him Tweek) had been tailing me from a distance making sure I didnt steal anything. I very politely called this dude over and simply asked if he'd take $20 for this kick stand. He said we'd have to go ask the boss...

We found the owner standing around with about 5 of his tweeker/biker buddies drinking beer and old Tweek just blurts out these words: This dude wants to buy a kick stand for $20.

Without even bothering to ask for more info the owner immediately starts ranting and raving at me for offering such a ridiculously low price. He then grabs a 5-lb sledge hammer and proceeds to bash the kick stand off an old bicycle sitting there. After he gets it off he started waving it around over his head while screaming HERE, HERE'S YOUR $20 _ _ _ DAM KICKSTAND !!! All his buddies just started laughing and I was already heading back to my truck.

Nice, that was 10 years ago and I still hang my hand out the window and flip that place off every time I drive by. I'll spend the rest of my life bad mouthing that place every chance I get.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
yeah around here everyone is nice the old guy in the junk yard here gave my freind 4 6 inch speakers for free.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Hah! Anderkart! You got that guy nailed perfect. (And I thought it was just me.) This guy also F'd over a good friend of mine (Ed of "Ed's Black Terror of Death" fame) so this guy WILL get his Kharma by being known INTERNATIONALLY as a "Tweaker Pr_ck!" Cool.

He can't blame me for this- he makes his own bed with everyone he meets.

Status
Not open for further replies.