Rotax Initiative Project... or "R.I.P."!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
I guess I gotta start this thread here, because right now, it's just a greasy lump and an idea. Once again I was bit by the Ebay Bug recently and picked up a Rotax 302 SnoMo engine for $57... shipping included! I'll take pictures, but it's basically about the same size/weight as a B/S 8hp with the carb/exhaust in different spots. The specs I have so far are 16hp@5500 rpm, and a 2400rpm clutch engagement speed. I was out measuring and "Visualizing" on the back porch, when it occurred to me that it would be a pretty good match for The Treefrog cart. It can mount just above the axle, with the crank centerline about 6" behind the axle centerline. I'll have to double check the weight and see how badly it's going to affect the cart's handling. (Probably strap the right amount of weight on the back of the kart with the present engine and take it for a spin.) I think one of the major hurdles will (again) be locating the secondary clutch/jackshaft into a very limited area. I'll try to follow up with pix.
Here is a link to the Ebay Ad.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170269137252&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

I think I'm going to slowly replace my Blue Terror motors with SnoMo motors wherever I can.

Last edited:

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
I gotta do SOMETHING cheap with that motor! It looks like it might fit, but the extra weight will probably not let this cart handle as well as it does. (Motor is about 50 lbs heavier.)

I like karts

Rotary Power!
Reaction score
well, if it isn't going to handle well, at least it will take off like crazy with all that extra weight over the tires

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Yes, live axle is absolutely no problem if you have enough power to light up the back tyres. They will do a u-turn in about twice their own length just by doing half a donut.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yes, live axle is absolutely no problem if you have enough power to light up the back tyres. They will do a u-turn in about twice their own length just by doing half a donut.

That's how I turn around on narrow dirt roads in my kart. I love pinning it wide open turning around and keep em' spinning. Even with the stock 6.5 HP clone I can light up the rear tires for about 50 feet in dirt.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score

Okay.... this is just a "Toying With a Crazy Idea" thing.... but here goes....

I've got this motor that could somehow fit on the back of one of my karts, OR.... I have this HUGE love of the old Speedway/Flat-track bikes like the one pictured. The idea is, to as closely as possible, build a street-legal version of this bike, using the Rotax 302 and Torque Converter. Such a combo should work, I'd think. I think my main block (besides $$ to get the motorcycle bits I need) might be emissions with this bike. I'll do a bit of boning up on what the restrictions are, but wouldn't this be cool? I love the minimalist look of the bikes, and duplicating wouldn't be too hard. The motor/converter combo would fit.

newrider3

Reaction score
I think that would be pretty awesome. Imagine the looks you'll get at stoplights with a sled powered bike.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score

Here it is ,after I gave the flywheel housing a coat. I've got to get behind the flywheel and clean the points, and find/mount a starter. The carb from my reed-valve kit might work- but it's gravity feed. If I build the motorcycle, then that won't be a problem. Being a 299cc single with the reed kit, this thing should be a decent motor.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score

I don't know where to put this, but here is my other Ebay engine. The Polaris/Fuji motor. Before... I thought these only came in 340, 400, and 440cc, but now I'm finding out that this could be a 250 or 300. It certainly looks very small, especially next to Ed's 440.
(Hey look! Its Mini Me!... or, who left the motor in the dryer too long!?!?)

As usual, it's pretty hard to find any meaningful info on this stuff. The model # plate is broken off, and I don't see any casting #s, either.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
ya know mines doing that too, when i saw it the first time it was fine. not sure what happened?

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Oh, I thought that's how the video was.

That would be sweet with an expansion chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.