Replace springs on coilovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Hi,
I have some hydraulic shocks that I am going to use on my kart, think they are from a 125cc bike.
However the springs seem a little stiff. Is there any way to replace them with lighter springs? There appears to be no obvious way to get them apart, I can get some pics if need be.
Thanks
Rob

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
pictures would help me tell if they can be taken apart. If you can't take the old spring off in one piece you cannot put a new one on. New springs could sourced from aftermarket suppliers for that bike, scavenged from other vehicles, or custom made. I'm assuming these shocks are pretty low tech so you cannot/are not interested in re-valving the dampener. If these shocks are really low quality you may be better off getting new shocks from a larger bike, new springs could be more expensive than you think.

Is there any way you can re-position the shocks to increase the motion ratio (shocks compress less for every unit the wheel travels). Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Nodroz

Reaction score
Hmm, from what bike did these shocks came off? I can't imagine a bike weighs so much more than an ordinary gokart.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Hmm, from what bike did these shocks came off? I can't imagine a bike weighs so much more than an ordinary gokart.

It all depends on weight distribution, shock placement, and the number of shocks supporting the vehicle.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, especially r97.
I will get pics later. They were £20 for the pair, fairly low tech but hydraulic so not that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.