Refurb Manco

Karttekk

Reaction score
Here's my latest "Hall of Shame" restoration project. I wanted to convert a basic 2 seater, live axle kart to an electric start model with LED headlights. I've done and sold a bunch of basic machines along with a Carbide restoration but wanted to take a shot an electric start machine. Picked up this older 475/485 Series Manco 2 seater, replaced the older Briggs flathead electric start engine that was on there (which had no battery or wiring) with a new 6.5 HP electric start Carroll Stream engine. Special thanks to JT for suggesting what I should charge when I sold the flathead by the way. Painted the frame and wheels, replaced the engine, fabricated and mounted a battery box and added a battery, made a new seat bottom, added LED lights on a 5 amp fused circuit, replaced the rear tires, installed a new 30 Series torque converter and belt, replaced the sprocket, installed a push button kill switch on the steering support, made a custom "dashboard" to mount the headlight switch, installed a new brake band, installed a new drive cover and aligned the front end. Turned out okay I think.

Attachments

• Heap_1.jpg
    Heap_1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Manco5.jpg
    Manco5.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Manco3.jpg
    Manco3.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Manco4.jpg
    Manco4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 24

madtom

Reaction score
I sold a kart to a friend with harbor freight tires on it. I got a call a few weeks later saying the tires and rims blew up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

NightHawkJ30

Reaction score
Here's my latest "Hall of Shame" restoration project. I wanted to convert a basic 2 seater, live axle kart to an electric start model with LED headlights. I've done and sold a bunch of basic machines along with a Carbide restoration but wanted to take a shot an electric start machine. Picked up this older 475/485 Series Manco 2 seater, replaced the older Briggs flathead electric start engine that was on there (which had no battery or wiring) with a new 6.5 HP electric start Carroll Stream engine. Special thanks to JT for suggesting what I should charge when I sold the flathead by the way. Painted the frame and wheels, replaced the engine, fabricated and mounted a battery box and added a battery, made a new seat bottom, added LED lights on a 5 amp fused circuit, replaced the rear tires, installed a new 30 Series torque converter and belt, replaced the sprocket, installed a push button kill switch on the steering support, made a custom "dashboard" to mount the headlight switch, installed a new brake band, installed a new drive cover and aligned the front end. Turned out okay I think.
Love those shiny Manco Floor pan decals just like mine

Attachments

• 3D2A86C5-5F97-4F35-A261-10A87AF561DD.jpeg
    3D2A86C5-5F97-4F35-A261-10A87AF561DD.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10

NightHawkJ30

Reaction score
Also did you mask off the Floor pan decals When you painted the frame?

Kent

Reaction score
Willits, California (Northern California)
Sweet looking kart.............Once you have the starter and battery installed is it very involved to add the LED's??? Is it as simple as running a (fused) hot wire to a switch and running a ground??? Do you ground from the switch to the frame??

Karttekk

Reaction score
Sweet looking kart.............Once you have the starter and battery installed is it very involved to add the LED's??? Is it as simple as running a (fused) hot wire to a switch and running a ground??? Do you ground from the switch to the frame??
The lights weren't too involved. Picked up the rocker switch at Autozone, got the light kit and a spool of 18 gauge wire at Tractor Supply. I ran a fused hot wire to the battery, another one to the lights and the ground to an engine bolt. Instructions are on the rocker switch. Used Autozone battery clamps as light brackets, they fit around the frame perfectly. Sometimes you gotta improvise.