Rear end

wyattpowers

Reaction score
Hi, so I'm building a go kart. I got the live axle kit I guess you could say. I'm making the frame for it to mount on as well as the engine. Are there any rules of thumb or what have you that I need to follow? Such as pillow block placement or engine location in relation to the other components. Can the sprocket go anywhere as long as it lines up with the engine sprocket? What should get mounted first? The axle or the engine. What's my north star if you will? Thank you.

jamyers

Reaction score
There's not really a #1 "Start here" spot, it's more of a "how is everything going to fit together in the way that makes the most sense" kind of process. But in general...
* the sprocket can go anywhere along the axle shaft, as long as it lines up with the engine sprocket.
* generally, engines output shafts point to the left, so sprockets usually go on that side, with the engine roughly in the middle, and disk brakes on the right side (lots of drum brakes get located on the left side, outboard of the frame, just because that's a straight shot for a rod coming back from the pedal.

With what you've got, looks like the chain going around the sprocket is going to be *really* close to those angle irons. Also, looks like the sprocket is nearly as big as your tires, which might put it hitting the ground.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
54-tooth sprocket will need a strong engine to turn it, that's a little bit small, but like jamyers said, close to the ground is not good. That's harder on clutches too, but too big and the ground clearance shrinks to nothing.
Wheels, sprockets, and brake discs are always best placed close to a supporting bearing. You've got some locking collars for them there, use them all. Personally I only use DOUBLE-split collars that can be placed/removed in seconds. Main thing is that mine go on BOTH sides of ALL of the various parts because I can afford the average ebay cost of $2.65 each better than affording the cost of warped axles.
Since that angle iron across the rear isn't heavy enough to do the job (more square tube) and the cross brace isn't welded yet, you're not committed yet to that setup. Start over with heavy square tube, and leave more space between tubes not only for the sprocket, but also for the chain possibly running at a good angle away from it.
Consider that brake drum or disc placement as needing either just a brake rod, or a cable, or a hydraulic hose, or combo of those. Simple rod on the left as jamyers said. Cable all the way from pedal to brake. Rod to a master cylinder, then hose to brake. Or any rod and cable combo that works, from a left side only setup, to crossing over the frame left to right.
For that frame, a "rear clip" like you've got there is much harder to secure strongly to a mainframe than it is to start with tubes that run all the way from front to rear.

wyattpowers

Reaction score
Thank you. You guys gave me the info I needed. Unfortunately, I welded it up already, but I figured I might be redoing it. I just wanted to see it "complete". I want to 45 the box tubing and swap out the angle iron with more of the box tubing. The angle iron was a matter of convenience( chop saw issues). A different sprocket would solve a few different design flaws? And I have more lock collars so they will be added. I wasn't sure if they were over kill.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Chop saw? From my industry that was always a gas-powered saw with a 10"-16" spinning blade, specific for metal or masonry. Kinda heavy and awkward too. Is that what you're cutting your tubing with? You must have steadier hands and better eyes than me.
If you don't have an angle grinder right now, know that it's what most kart builders are using for their steel. Handheld and bench mounted.
My constant is a "Harbor Freight special" 4.5" handheld angle grinder they sell for about $15 all day long. Flyers and catalogs often have coupons for $9.99 each. On my 3rd one right now. First fail (gears) was my fault. 2nd fail was a burn up, because I didn't know to give it a rest after a few minutes nonstop cutting (sheetmetal).
Bought the next more expensive one with the "paddle switch" and hated it, returned it. Cheap one just snaps on with a switch until snapped off. However, I take very good care of all my equipment and tools. If you like tossing grinders onto the floor, I've no idea what would work for you.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Miter saw, there's a name I recognize. And the one that moves back and forth is a radial arm saw, got it.
That miter saw with its square edge and straight cuts will make very precise miters in that square tubing if you want them. If I had one, I'd be making all my 90 degree joints with 45 degree joinery. Then all the tubes would be closed.
Making my 90's as butt joints with 1.5" square tube has meant there's always an open tube. Have had to go back and cut and weld on squares to cover every one of those open tubes.