rear axle almost done, need opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank

Reaction score
hey i almost have my rear axle done, after the two wheels are on, i have about 1/2" long stub on each end, i was thinking, should i...

-take the axle to some place and get it threaded

-get the axle have a groove for a snap ring (i dont have the snap ring tool though)

-use a shaft collar

frank

Reaction score
theo from gokartforums.com told me to drill through my axle, and bolt the collar on. I have a drill press so i can do that, but somebody told me to use a pin, and i was thinking of the pins holding racing car hoods, what do u think?

frank

Reaction score
not of the axle
and the welds are so bad i dont want to post more pics of welds UNTIL i drive it to prove that looks doesnt matter, lol

if i can drill through solid steel, i'll do it, i can also thread it after too, i got a thread tap and die set

SL100OKI

Reaction score
OK, here's the dumb question of the day from someone who has never really looked closely at a go-kart.

I've always wonder, why is the tip threaded on the axle?

I know the hubs are made to hold the tires on.

Are the thread made to hold the axle in place?

Reaction score
It's to hold the hubs on the axle.

For a live axle, the hubs are fixed to the axle and you woudln't need to do that, but on a fixed axle where the hubs "free wheel" you have to hold them on the axle with the nuts. It's best to use nuts that are called "nylock" which have a nylon lining to make them hard to come off when you're driving.

frank

Reaction score
robertdjung said:
It's to hold the hubs on the axle.

For a live axle, the hubs are fixed to the axle and you woudln't need to do that, but on a fixed axle where the hubs "free wheel" you have to hold them on the axle with the nuts. It's best to use nuts that are called "nylock" which have a nylon lining to make them hard to come off when you're driving.
even for a real live axle, or any axle, something is needed to stop the wheels from comming off during a turn or corner.

hubs are so that the wheel spins with the axle...

i know the nylon inserted nuts work, but loctite is better

how hard would it be to drill a 3/16 hole right through a locking collar and a 5/8 axle? i have patience, but can it be done using a mini drill press?

Reaction score
Right right... Locking collars with set screws/keyways etc for the live axle. Anyway, drill through the axle? Just use a hand drill. Anything will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.