Radio Controlled "Go Kart"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadManAndrew

Fun-Club Chairman
Reaction score
If anything, I'm worried that the springs I have may be too stiff. They are very stiff. As with anything, we'll see when it's finished and if they don't work they will get replaced. Thank you for the website. I would normally order from Mcmaster-Carr but they've giving me fits lately anyway. I actually stole these from work, we've got a whom array of this size in different spring rates, so that's probably where I'll return to. As for the angling of the tie rod arms, no, I did not. I always use 90* spindles and achieve the correct Ackerman geometry at the steering/pitman arm.

MadManAndrew

Fun-Club Chairman
Reaction score
Well, here she is today. Frame rails, axle mounts, etc. all done up. Apparently I made a slight oversight with the way the whole front end way going to go together because my wheels have a 4" backspace and my spindles are only 4" from wheel mounting surface to the center of the kingpin. Kind of a problem. I guess I will order some wheel spacers.

Attachments

• WP_20141026_001.jpg
    WP_20141026_001.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 122

MadManAndrew

Fun-Club Chairman
Reaction score
No pics, but when I got home today I put together a battery tray for a never used tractor battery I had in preparation for the motor coming in tomorrow. I ordered a Lifan 6.5hp w/ electric start and a flanged mounting plate.

MadManAndrew

Fun-Club Chairman
Reaction score
Motor is in, runs great. Kill switch wire was not connected, that was annoying after I had it running on top of my workbench. Fixed now. Mounting plate, torque converter, and axle sprocket otw now.

MadManAndrew

Fun-Club Chairman
Reaction score
A little more done today. Motor mount and battery tray are in. Still waiting on TC and sprockets.

My ingenious solution to securing the battery; Cut a 7" hose clamp in half and weld them to opposite sides:

What she looks like today:

Attachments

• WP_20141101_14_00_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141101_14_00_57_Pro.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 91
  • WP_20141101_14_14_46_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141101_14_14_46_Pro.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 91

MadManAndrew

Fun-Club Chairman
Reaction score
Okay, so as I was saying, the TC did not fit with how I had my motor mount configured. It seems very odd to me the way it's designed to mount, you can't have any frame cross members towards the back of the motor mount because it dips down below the motor. I don't know how the rest of you guys have been mounting your motors but the logical way to do it seemed like a cross member up front and one out back. To get the TC to fit, I had to put the rear one in the middle of the motor mount plate.

Also, there is what appears to be a vent line going from the fuel tank to the air filter. What should I do with it when I go to put my aftermarket air filter on?

Attachments

• WP_20141106_16_09_52_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141106_16_09_52_Pro.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 69
  • WP_20141106_16_10_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141106_16_10_47_Pro.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 13

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Plug the hose with a small acorn fuel filter, then let it hang.....
(not plug it so there is no air flow. Just put the filter to keep anything from getting in..... )

Status
Not open for further replies.