Race Kart Refurb | New Project!

KMEFA

Reaction score
That seat's probably been passed around a bit over the years ….

If you have a Harbor freight in your area,, they have 4''- ''Warrior'' poly carbide abrasive wheels, that work ''real good'' on an angle grinder,, to get the top layers of the bad stuff off.
Item no. is : 94016
I then use the 3' - ''red cup'' wire wheels that they also have,, to get the rest knocked down to bare metal. ;)

Lastly,,

Just try not to grind into the bare metal, as it's probably chrome moly.

Last edited:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Even though it was a bit rainy today I had to get it out to put it in the backyard temporarily, so I figured it'd be a shame not to stretch it's legs a little bit. So I took it up and down the street around 1/2 throttle, got some nice pictures of it out in the open as well! All the water that got everywhere acted like a little wash down, looks a lot better after getting the chicken and yard debris off! Looks good on the back porch parked next to the Hothead! As I drove it around the back yard to the porch, I floored it and yanked the wheel left, and WOW it spun the tires like nothing! Slicks on wet grass is FUN, plus it didn't hurt the yard at all!

With these better pics, can anyone ID this thing per chance?
I've checked for numbers already, I think they're hidden under the layers of bad paint. I purposely took some detail pics of the front end steering design and the bearing hangers, hopefully those will help us ID it.

Attachments

• IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 11

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Oh yeah, this is the number plate that came with it. Number 33! Can't quite tell if it's etched on or if it's a decal, I'm guessing it's a decal.

Attachments

• 522191C5-3039-47F1-B9E3-75D74369C174.jpeg
    522191C5-3039-47F1-B9E3-75D74369C174.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

KMEFA

Reaction score
Looks like you cleaned it up a bit.
You definitely scored on that !
Noticed also that you have Douglas blue label rims on the front.
We just got new fronts of those for our Karts.

Noticed something else though,,

what's going on with your front end ??
Looks like you need to set the toe alignment on it.
It appears in a couple of the pics.,, that your LF is toed way out.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
You sure? Looks OK to me.
In the video footage at one point you can actually watch the frame flex and rise when I turn the wheel right, I pointed it out in the video. I just checked and the front right spindle has considerably more caster than the left, maybe that has something to do with it?

Or are you referring to how the wheels are turned to the left in the pictures? I intentionally did that, did you maybe mistake that for toe out?

Attachments

• 39C93012-62F9-4415-ABDA-2119458EB198.jpeg
    39C93012-62F9-4415-ABDA-2119458EB198.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4

KMEFA

Reaction score
I can see the caster variance ect. on your king pin yokes now.
That's probably what made it look wonky with the wheels turned some in the pics.
Definitely a sprint chassis.
how does it track straight down the road ?

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
All right I finally got it all back together! After going to GoPowerSports to pick up some parts, I reassembled it, cut off the custom muffler, and it fired on the second pull! Somehow the hose clamp I was missing was in the blower housing, so it got a bit mangled, but oh well. After pulling it out it sounds SO GOOD.
Seat mounting isn't perfect, I had to zip-tie the seat struts down since I never got the clamps for them, but it's still pretty good. Also! I noticed that it says EMMICK right down the seat! Assuming it's not a seat off another kart, I think this is an Emmick race kart!
This thing is SO FAST although I have to manage the choke with one hand while I drive, it's calculated to hit right around 35 MPH, but it accelerates so hard! Unfortunately I found out this is the annoying EPA/CARB Predator 212, so I'll be putting a normal carburetor on it in the near future.

I also made a video of it!
wait are you saying that you can just GO to gps! I am sooooooo jealous!

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I can see the caster variance ect. on your king pin yokes now.
That's probably what made it look wonky with the wheels turned some in the pics.
Definitely a sprint chassis.
how does it track straight down the road ?
It actually tracks real nice and straight, but I might add some caster to the front left to match the right and help it track even straighter. The only reason it looked squirrelly in the video is because I was driving one handed and I just wasn’t ready for how powerful it was!

wait are you saying that you can just GO to gps! I am sooooooo jealous!

Yeah pretty much lol! I live about an hour from GPS, I even included some footage from my visit in the video!

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Loud pipes save lives. Noticed you had to wave off the crowd at the start/finish line.

Be careful out there in the 'hood with all those driveways, parked cars, neighbors , phone poles and mailboxes!

It sounds really good all wound up though.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Loud pipes save lives. Noticed you had to wave off the crowd at the start/finish line.

Be careful out there in the 'hood with all those driveways, parked cars, neighbors , phone poles and mailboxes!

It sounds really good all wound up though.
Yes definitely! Especially with how low it is the sheer volume helps drivers know I'm there, but I don't take it out on busy days like weekends. I make it standard practice to drive slow when there's a car going by and yield to the full size cars, and of course I had to wave the other kids out of the way, but I would've stopped if they didn't. I had to overcook turns a few times to know the limits, I spun out and did a 360 once on the Hothead, hit the curb another time. Can't learn that stuff any other way though!

And yeah it sounds so good revving up, I mostly included the pedal to the metal footage, that way y'all can enjoy the full throttle ear candy. Soudns surprisingly good across the powerband, I was expecting it to spit and sputter with the California carb, but it seems like it's mostly the idle circuit.

KMEFA

Reaction score
We run these LED's on the Mini bikes , & will be putting them on the Karts also,, plus a couple of flags.
You get 3 for around 10 bucks off e - bay,, & they are USB rechargeable, come with charge cords,, have 3 functions,,, & are held on with an o - ring.
There is like 3 color choices also.
Pretty slick, & ''highly'' visible .;)
Will be attaching ours to the bumpers, with 2 white ones in front, & 2 blue ones on the rears,, maybe orange/red also back there.
omoqxuoomqopxlpqmrtoovqtpqvswstrwwwnHNEr.jpg

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
i went to comet kart sales and they are cheaper then everybody else! a full axle kit including discbrakes rims tires hubs axles is around 400$, mean while at other shops its 600$

KMEFA

Reaction score
i went to comet kart sales and they are cheaper then everybody else! a full axle kit including discbrakes rims tires hubs axles is around 400$, mean while at other shops its 600$
There shipping is ''way'' cheaper also ! ;)

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Update: I finally went ahead and removed the nerf bars! They were just so janky with the mounting and made it hard to get in and out of the kart. I was half worried if the kart decided to take off while I was getting in that it'd just catch and break my ankles, so now the risk is much lower, plus I shed some weight, plus it looks better.
On that note, I took it out for some long distance, high speed testing to test its limits, and wow this thing is pretty nice! The streets around my neighborhood have very little traffic due to it being 100 degrees on a July Monday at midday, so it was great! It held up at redline for some considerably long stretches, wiggled a little bit on bumps but overall tracked pretty well, brakes and tires held up great! I drove it over to the empty church parking lot to rip it around, then a problem manifested; the sprocket hub bolts were more stripped out than I expected, and the combination of high speed, drifting, and low speed going over bumps loosened all of them enough to throw the chain. Luckily I got it back together and was able to redline it back too, it's still much more reliable than the Hothead. Now it's back parked on the back porch, so now I gotta figure out what I'm gonna do with the sprocket. Probably gonna be a combination of lock washers, locktite, and perhaps some nuts on the bolts too.
The way this sprocket is made is it's a plastic hub, and the bolts go through the sprocket and thread straight into the plastic hub threads. Needless to say, it's not too forgiving if it gets over-torqued, so some nuts should help hold it together. Ideally I'll eventually get a billet hub or the likes, I don't like plastic stuff and I'm not sure I trust this to hold up whenever I get the beast of a Raptor I have together. Plus of course it's already stripped out.

Attachments

• 20210726_150218.jpg
    20210726_150218.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 4