Quick Question about brakes on a black widow

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyW00lf

Reaction score
I'm working on getting the parts together to make a black widow (From spidercarts) and my question is this Can you use another type of brakes other then a Band Style braking system?

like say a Mechanical Brake Caliper and rotor.

Nodroz

Reaction score
Sure, why not? You just have to change the plans a little bit, but if you're experienced enough, that won't be a problem at all.

mckutzy

Reaction score
U can buy the parts from the princess auto. The brake and rotor are kinda expensive though. Not cheaply made, and the caliper is made in USA. You will also need the caliper bracket to make it work properly, unless you want to engineer you own.

GreyW00lf

Reaction score
U can buy the parts from the princess auto. The brake and rotor are kinda expensive though. Not cheaply made, and the caliper is made in USA. You will also need the caliper bracket to make it work properly, unless you want to engineer you own.

Thanks for the Information. Note to self make sure to get a caliper bracket.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I'll second the above. I have the same mechanical caliper that Princess sells, and I'm pretty impressed with it's performance.

If you're really creative, you can do what I usually do- source a hydraulic system from a motorcycle, pitbike, car, whatever, and use it. The brakes on the kart I built for my kids uses the front hydraulics from a Yamaha Virago 250, and my race mower uses the rear hydro setup from a Honda Interceptor 750.

mckutzy

Reaction score
On my bike I didnt use the bracket they sell, I didnt buy it when I bought the caliper, so I made my own. It works for me But i dont ride it really.
With a gokart there is not too much room so the caliper needs to float, thats why I say get one of the brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.