Question about modifying a Honda GX160 engine

Tilen

Reaction score
Hi all! I have got my hands on a honda gx160 and I removed the governor. I dont know how the engine ran before, but since I got it running it has a huge problem. If I put the throttle (stock carb) on more then like 30% the engine just stops firing no matter the rpms at which I apply the throttle at. if I hold it for too long, the engine will stall. Even though its a stock engine and carb I dont think this is normal behaviour. The fuel tank is custom and is set roughly 5 cm - 6 cm above the carb( ~2 inches ) This is in a no load scenario. I dont have a way of loading up the engine as of now. But still it should at lest rev past the sky right? Also: Ive got a flat top stock piston and the lower cc gx200 head on it. is this a smart idea? I have the dished piston on hand, and I plan on installing it because it has thiccer compression rings and oil scrapers. Thats because I have a oil burning issue and I am pretty shore the rings are the problem. And also will the stock rod withstand the extra rpm? remmember its the stock carb as well as springs so in any case the revs shouldn't go too high. Also stock flywheel. I know its a lot of question I am relatively new to this kind of engine modding.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Bullseye670 might be able to help you, I'm just as clueless on that issue as you are.
Hi all! I have got my hands on a honda gx160 and I removed the governor. I dont know how the engine ran before, but since I got it running it has a huge problem. If I put the throttle (stock carb) on more then like 30% the engine just stops firing no matter the rpms at which I apply the throttle at. if I hold it for too long, the engine will stall. Even though its a stock engine and carb I dont think this is normal behaviour. The fuel tank is custom and is set roughly 5 cm - 6 cm above the carb( ~2 inches ) This is in a no load scenario. I dont have a way of loading up the engine as of now. But still it should at lest rev past the sky right? Also: Ive got a flat top stock piston and the lower cc gx200 head on it. is this a smart idea? I have the dished piston on hand, and I plan on installing it because it has thiccer compression rings and oil scrapers. Thats because I have an oil burning issue and I am pretty shore the rings are the problem. And also will the stock rod withstand the extra rpm? remmember its the stock carb as well as springs so in any case the revs shouldn't go too high. Also stock flywheel. I know it's a lot of question I am relatively new to this kind of engine modding.
Welcome to the forum!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You may be hitting max rpm even though you don’t have the throttle open all the way. An engine is just an air pump and pumps can only pump what they can, no more!