Question about clutch and engine interface

Kidthatsirish

Reaction score
Hey folks,. I have a couple questions.

I have two hot wheels go karts. They have paddle style break and gas. There are four stroke honda engines that power them.

My issue is that the clutch (for lack of a better term) seems to have eaten itself. It's a metal housing that bolts to the engine with four bolts. The output shaft of the engine seems to nestle between three gears that ride inside the housing like it's a bearing race. The output shaft of the clutch/transmission assembly has a sprocket that turns a chain that turns a much larger gear on the axle.

I need help finding replacement clutch assemblies of either equal or better quality.

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_154100.jpg
    IMG_20210429_154100.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 5

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That looks like a gear reduction engine. You might have to go back to Honda for parts in the future might want to remove it yearly at least clean and replace parts. Especially after playing in water or mud.

Kidthatsirish

Reaction score
Ok,...so doing a little more research turns out these are go karts that where made by liberty and they went under. They turned over the parts to tomberline who I'm told does not have the best customer service.

The engines start fine. But these center dry clutches/reduction gear assemblies get ate up by the Honda engines that the last owner put on them.

So, does anyone know of a replacement center clutch/reduction gear assembly that may bolt up to these things?

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
Ok,...so doing a little more research turns out these are go karts that where made by liberty and they went under. They turned over the parts to tomberline who I'm told does not have the best customer service.

The engines start fine. But these center dry clutches/reduction gear assemblies get ate up by the Honda engines that the last owner put on them.

So, does anyone know of a replacement center clutch/reduction gear assembly that may bolt up to these things?
try a torque converter a TAV30 should work for 212 or smaller displacement engines, a 40 series for 301 or bigger. You can find them on go power sports website

Kidthatsirish

Reaction score
try a torque converter a TAV30 should work for 212 or smaller displacement engines, a 40 series for 301 or bigger. You can find them on go power sports website
Thanks for the advice. I looked up the torque converter assemblies you mentioned. As I'm sure you realize they look nothing like the reduction gear assembly with sprocket that attaches to the chain that wraps the sprocket on the axle.

I assume you are suggesting a retrofit or some sort?

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I looked up the torque converter assemblies you mentioned. As I'm sure you realize they look nothing like the reduction gear assembly with sprocket that attaches to the chain that wraps the sprocket on the axle.

I assume you are suggesting a retrofit or some sort?
Yes because if you buy that same piece you had on there before its just going to get toasted by the engine again.

Kidthatsirish

Reaction score
Yes because if you buy that same piece you had on there before its just going to get toasted by the engine again.
Agreed, do you have any advice or tips on doing a modification like this?

I imagine if I don't find a way to properly match the ratio of output shaft speed to axle speed I could seriously change the speed and power available to the go karts.

Kidthatsirish

Reaction score
Agreed, do you have any advice or tips on doing a modification like this?

I imagine if I don't find a way to properly match the ratio of output shaft speed to axle speed I could seriously change the speed and power available to the go karts.
Also, I forgot to mention, the engine this will mount to is a honda gx25, a 1 HP engine I think. Will that cause problems?