Question abou tollitson carbs

Gdavis9020

Reaction score
Hi I bought a manco dingo go cart and someone has put a tecumseh 10 horse on it model hm100 it has a tillotson hl357a carburetor on it that is dumping gas and leaking out of its gaskets I was trying to find a replacement carb but it looks like it is discontinued all I can find is a hl357b but that is a methanol carb does anyone have any recommendations?

Gdavis9020

Reaction score
Ok I will try to pull it apart and take some pictures later today thank you for the part number on the seal kit

Gdavis9020

Reaction score
Everything seems decent no obvious tears I pulled the needle out by removing the screw and reinstalled it it moves up and down freely I imagine I'll try the seal kit and see what happens never messed with this style of carb so not too sure what I'm looking at

Gdavis9020

Reaction score
Huh bingo now that you said that if I work the diaphragm by hand I can see a small slit in it im surprised that would make it leak externally but it definitely needs taken care of

Snaker

Reaction score
The fuel pumps are definitely the weak link of those Tillotsons.
Many were rebuilt on the seat of a snowmobile out in the boonies.
I kept a rebuild kit as part of the tools on my Ski-Doo's.

The external leak, who knows.
Maybe old gasket residue on surfaces?
Unlike Mikuni, where one can be torn down and rebuilt without new parts, Tillotsons don't like being put back together with old gaskets.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
That’s masking paper for painting cars where I come from.
Really? Paint won't bleed through it? I get 36" x 500' rolls of white from my institutional supplier, to cover long rows of tables for big events at the church. Folks hold their spot a day or two early by writing their names on the paper, but somebody decided not to let them use Sharpie markers for that, fearing a permanent bleed-through to the tabletops.
I have a 12" roll of brown Kraft paper for spraypaint masking, but use the white 36" on my bench anyway so there's no overlaps trying to cover it. Cleanliness only, no paint, never thought about anything bleeding through the white onto my bench. Biggest concern is dripping oil, which can bleed through a lot of paper types.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The type of painting I do is probably way different than what you do. But yes it works. Even news paper will work in a pinch. But you have to be careful with that, there’s a lot of lint in that stuff.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Even news paper will work in a pinch. But you have to be careful with that, there’s a lot of lint in that stuff.
HAH! Suck on that, Weird Jon!
My roommate almost 4 decades ago wore glasses, and would only ever clean them with newspaper. What I couldn't stand was that he kept pages of newspaper sitting on every table and stand in the apartment to set his glasses down on, even on the floor by his living room chair. May the lint stop up your nose, Jon!

Gdavis9020

Reaction score
Finally got my gaskets in the mail so I put them on and carb back on fixed which fixed the fuel leak at carb body and was idling fine found when blipping throttle it would black stack then usually die and not want to restart unless fuel line was crimped off and pulled on for quite a few times decided to mess with adjustment screws found h screw was turned out 6 turns so not sure if the boy adjusted it for me while I was working on brakes or someone had it turned way out to compensate for the diaphragm being torn. Got it running a little better but had to go in to work hopefully I can get it dialed in more this weekend