Pulse pump and catch can

WillMatrix

Reaction score
So lately I been having a lot of oil slinging from my built predator. I read up on the advantages of oil catch cans but please let me know if it’s a way I can run my pulse pump off my catch can.

and if there is please let me know the steps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    879.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

karl

Reaction score
Tee fitting in the line between the catch can and valve cover will do.

If you have not already, you should remove the reed valve from the valve cover.

This is a hemi, right? Another way is to drill and tap the valve cover for a 1/8-27 pipe thread , and
add a hose barb. You can find them on the shelf at any auto parts store.

Attachments

• 20220623_213016.jpg
    20220623_213016.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 13

WillMatrix

Reaction score

This is a hemi, right? Another way is to drill and tap the valve cover for a 1/8-27 pipe thread , and
It’s a hemi and I already have the barb in my valve cover, it’s the see through cover. Can you show me a picture? I’m so lost with this catch can and pulse pump thing

I also have a chikuni with the intake adapter if I need to figure out another pulse

WillMatrix

Reaction score

Can I get some explanation on where your lines are going and coming from?? And maybe a little reason to why your running it that way. I’m trying to further my understanding

karl

Reaction score
Instead of running a catch can, I routed the hose into the intake like a factory motor.
But the concept is the same, instead of the hose going to the intake, you will attach
it to your catch can.

Installing a tee in this line is a way to run the fuel pump without adding a second barb to the valve cover.

Or if you want, you can drill and tap the valve cover to install a second barb,
then have two separate hoses, one for the can, one for the fuel pump.

A third way is to drill and tap the intake manifold adapter to add a barb.

The pulse pump just needs to pick up a pulse from somewhere, that's all.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Pulse pump won't work very well if you run it from the valve cover's vent line that you're running to the intake. That's the line that needs to go to the catch can inlet. The tap in the valve cover is the correct side of the valve cover's reed valve to run the pulse pump.

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Pulse pump won't work very well if you run it from the valve cover's vent line that you're running to the intake. That's the line that needs to go to the catch can inlet. The tap in the valve cover is the correct side of the valve cover's reed valve to run the pulse pump.
You kind of lost me here. My valve cover came with a brass barb already installed. I was thinking of running that line to the catch can inlet and Pulse off the outlet of the catch can if I could

karl

Reaction score
The tap in the valve cover is the correct side of the valve cover's reed valve to run the pulse pump.
He has an aftermarket valve cover that does not have a reed valve.

Ive tried, but maybe you could explain this to will in a more straight foward way?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
You kind of lost me here. My valve cover came with a brass barb already installed. I was thinking of running that line to the catch can inlet and Pulse off the outlet of the catch can if I could
Now I get it. Should have paid attention to the part about clear cover with barb fitting.............Clear Valve Cover - Hemi Predator 212 - YouTube............
Hemi Clear Valve Cover - GoPowerSports.com.................
You don't have to worry about where to correctly tap off from the valve cover, yours doesn't have a reed valve installed in the underside of it. Your barb fitting has full exposure to the pulsing pressure of each stroke the engine makes. The barb fitting is in the perfect spot for running a pulse pump. The GPS ad shows the fitting being used as an open vent, with a little filter on it to keep stuff out of the engine, but you can put it to a pump fitting, and a vent and/or a catch can instead.
Ideally you would have 2 barbs in your valve cover, very easy to drill that plastic and screw another one into it, but as karl said you can just splice a tee into the existing line to go to 2 places, the pulse pump and the catch can. I say 2 barb fittings because I'm just unsure if sharing a single pulse line between a pump and a freely venting catch can would weaken the pulse. Either way, 2 fittings with 2 lines or a single line with a tee in it, you still end up with 2 lines in the end. Hook one line to the pulse fitting on the pump, and one line to the inlet of the catch can. You get your engine venting from the vent fitting on the catch can.
Here's a video of the ARC instructor explaining the reed valve in the stock valve cover's hemi and non-hemi Predators, and how to properly fit it with a barb fitting. Watch from the 34-min. mark to the 40-min. mark. At the end of that he shows that the vent for the valve cover still must exist...............
Top Plate, Fuel Pump and Pulse Fitting installation(Predator 212, Go kart racing, Mini bike racing) - YouTube

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Now I get it. Should have paid attention to the part about clear cover with barb fitting.............Clear Valve Cover - Hemi Predator 212 - YouTube............
Hemi Clear Valve Cover - GoPowerSports.com.................
You don't have to worry about where to correctly tap off from the valve cover, yours doesn't have a reed valve installed in the underside of it. Your barb fitting has full exposure to the pulsing pressure of each stroke the engine makes. The barb fitting is in the perfect spot for running a pulse pump. The GPS ad shows the fitting being used as an open vent, with a little filter on it to keep stuff out of the engine, but you can put it to a pump fitting, and a vent and/or a catch can instead.
Ideally you would have 2 barbs in your valve cover, very easy to drill that plastic and screw another one into it, but as karl said you can just splice a tee into the existing line to go to 2 places, the pulse pump and the catch can. I say 2 barb fittings because I'm just unsure if sharing a single pulse line between a pump and a freely venting catch can would weaken the pulse. Either way, 2 fittings with 2 lines or a single line with a tee in it, you still end up with 2 lines in the end. Hook one line to the pulse fitting on the pump, and one line to the inlet of the catch can. You get your engine venting from the vent fitting on the catch can.
Here's a video of the ARC instructor explaining the reed valve in the stock valve cover's hemi and non-hemi Predators, and how to properly fit it with a barb fitting. Watch from the 34-min. mark to the 40-min. mark. At the end of that he shows that the vent for the valve cover still must exist...............
Top Plate, Fuel Pump and Pulse Fitting installation(Predator 212, Go kart racing, Mini bike racing) - YouTube
My catch can has an option to close off the vent port on my catch can. Should I close it or run vent filter on it that it came with?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
My catch can has an option to close off the vent port on my catch can. Should I close it or run vent filter on it that it came with?
You have no choice but to vent the crankcase pressure on its positive swing in some way or another. Otherwise. the oil dumped upstairs has only gravity to return with, and some other reasons I'm not sure of. Just vent it somewhere.
Established knowledge says you shouldn't have a completely free open venting if you're depending on the engine pulse to run a fuel pump, hence the reason for being sure which side of a valve cover reed valve you're venting on. The underside (crankcase side) of a reed valve leaves enough positive pressure in the crankcase to run a fuel pump, the open end does not. You can openly vent the catch can if it's on the leaving side of a reed valve, but I fear a wide open venting without a reed valve will reduce the pulse dramatically.