Predator Lighting Coil

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
So some time has passed. Maybe new products are available or more info has been shared.

People on other groups keep asking about a charging/lighting coil for a Predator. And other people keep telling them how to do it.

I keep telling them that the gx200/clone flywheel doesn't have the same taper as a Hemi or Non-Hemi crank. Like a 196cc Baja Engine (Jiangdong?)... (Does it fit a Hemi or a Non-Hemi??? - I don't think it fits either). I believe the non Hemi Predator has a unique taper????
Is this correct?

I also keep telling them that the Kohler CH270 flywheel has the same taper as a Hemi Predator.
Is this correct?

I've seen people on the Tube put other flywheels on Predators, but I'm not sure the taper is the same.

Can Anybody confirm or deny my Flywheel beliefs????
I don't want to share BAD info, but if nobody stops me... I will continue to do so.

And not sure if Red Beard is still active on here, but I just called him out on FB for giving bad advice. Asked him to wager his sponsorship dollars. LOL. If Honda Flywheels fit Predator Cranks, I'm going to look like an idiot. LOL
Plus RBG never responded to a Tube comment where I asked about his N2O kit, so it's on now! LOL

At least there are enough of us here to monitor for misinformation. FB is like a Free For All.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34CHqptjj9E

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Well now I feel like an idiot. I found the info myself before anybody could call me out.
Seems as though the Non-Hemi Predator and Hondas/Clones use the same ARC Flywheels. A simple check of parts numbers would have saved me the embarrassment. I should have checked before spouting off. I thought it wasn't possible, maybe it just wasn't economical.

OK RBG, you get all my youtube money.

EDIT: Part numbers are different, so is the taper.
For example 6602 is for a Honda/Clone Taper and 6602-P is for a Non-hemi Predator taper.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Feeling stupid and being stupid are thankfully not the same. Plus, now your enlightenment will brighten the pathway for millions to follow.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
So your saying a GX200 flywheel with the stator magnets will fit the Predator 212? If that's true, that could save me a ton of money.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Have that one. The HFT store that I went to didn't have the Hemi engines so I have the non hemi sitting in the garage in its box still.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Rato just added a new engine to their model palette..

a 225cc 7.5hp engine.. and it (unlike the 6.5hp 212cc) is available with e-start!
Chances are it shares all but the bore with the 212cc engine (I think it had the same stroke... soooo *shrugs*)

Maybe one day Horrorfright replaces it's 212 with the 225

'sid

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
So your saying a GX200 flywheel with the stator magnets will fit the Predator 212? If that's true, that could save me a ton of money.

Well I can't confirm 100%.

ARC lists these part numbers as Flywheels for Hondas and Clones....

ARC lists these part numbers as Flywheels for NON HEMI PREDATORS...
6600-P
6602-P
6603-P
6607-P,...

I really don't know the answer to be 100% honest.
ARC 6619 for Hondas and Clones also says this....
"This flywheel is made for the GX200 and 196cc Clones, NOT for Predator Engine (Shaft taper is not same). "

I always thought that ARC 6619 was for a Honda Clone, ARC 6625 was Non-hemi Predator (HF Part No. 69730), and ARC 6626 was Hemi Predator (HF Part No. 60363). I thought they had different tapers, But I don't know much about it.

The Best Advice I always give is....

Call ARC ask for Jody. Who would know more about the flywheels than the company who makes the Flywheels???
Customer Service: (800) 521-3560

or the Tech Line.... What a great company? - love tech lines!
Tech Service Line: (229) 435-2647

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I tried to call, they were closed. But customer service is above and beyond.

From ARC FB Messenger....

The Honda GX200 and the 196 Clone have the same taper. The Non Hemi Predator 212 has a taper that is close but not exact to the Honda and Clone. Many have tried to cross use them and a few have made it work but most wind up slipping. The Hemi Predator 212 is completely different than the other 2.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Feeling stupid and being stupid are thankfully not the same. Plus, now your enlightenment will brighten the pathway for millions to follow.

It was false enlightenment. I am full of the Delusion of Enlightenment, which is all I can really ask for.

Observing my own thoughts about whether or not thoughts really exist OR if thoughts are the only thing that really exist.

Ohhh, I see what you did there.....

People might get a Bright idea and try to follow these steps to Enlightenment, but this path gets Dark and the edges are not clearly defined. People slip, they wobble, they don't stay true... and maybe their Bright idea blows up like a cast chinese flywheel improperly fitted to a Predator crankshaft at 9k RPM.

Sorry I ran out of "Light" metaphor thingys.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
At least one person says this works great on the non-Hemi.
So its your engine. A Honda/Clone flywheel and coil might work out.

ELECTRIC START FLYWHEEL WITH CHARGING COIL
NEW FITS HONDA GX160 GX200 5.5HP 6.5HP

Well, did you place the order yet? :popcorn:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Pictures > words

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Well, did you place the order yet? :popcorn:

Nope. "Might work sometimes" if not good enough for me. I wouldn't trust it at 8,000 RPM. Lights are not that important to me.

Plus I only have a Hemi 212cc, so I would need this.
Which DOES fit properly!!!!
https://www.nrracing.com/product-p/1702529s.htm
Flywheel, Kohler CH270 (7hp 208cc), Charging, Electric Start

$114 plus I need the stator.

Seems as though the CH270 Flywheel retarded 5 degrees compared to the stock hemi flywheel.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...-kohler-ch270-flywheel-timing-difference.html

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

Bob's credit card is maxed out building a 1,000 hp Predator.

But the higher my debt, the higher my credit score, allowing me to acquire more debt, allowing higher credit scores.

More Debt = Higher Score!!!!
Winning!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipTwjwrQYQ

Kartorbust

Reaction score
If I get the opportunity to, I'll be the guinea pig since I see to be the only one with a non-hemi and I need a lighting coil of 3 amps or better. Have 2 36 Watt 6.5" NiLight flood lamps.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
If the taper is indeed only "slightly" different,
you might be able to lap it in
(lapping in flywheel taper is recommended anyways... this might take more time though)

So maybe it's a question of patience in the end.

Or (oh this is stupid.. hear me out anyways)
How about having it lapped in with the help of a second engine?

remove the conrod, cam and air shroud on your predator;
add a keyed sprocket directly on the PTO (no clutch as big as you can find)
add another sprocket to another engine (a smaller one if you can)
bolt them down and chain them up.
Now install the new flywheel (without the key obviously but WITH some lapping compound)
tie it in place with a few feet of bungee cord.
applying a light and even pressure while stopping it's rotation.
fire up the secondary engine and let it idle
(the lower it spins the safer the process, that's why a gear reduction might be usefull)

a few five minute runs, refreshing the lapping compount and checking the process here and there might get you a nice fit without any elbow grease :D
*shrugs*

'sid

KartFab

Reaction score
But the higher my debt, the higher my credit score, allowing me to acquire more debt, allowing higher credit scores.

More Debt = Higher Score!!!!
Winning!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipTwjwrQYQ

Lol! The higher your available credit to your balance, the higher your score. I found that out the hard way. I paid for only gas and groceries for years with autopay from checking only to find out my $500 credit card was also negatively affecting my score. Once I raised my credit limit to be substantially higher, spending the same amount, my score jumped 50 points.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
There is a Kohler FW for sale $75. Not sure the shipping cost.

"I have a kholer fly wheel that fits predator 212 for electric start also alternator ,starter and key all new 75.00 for all I have paypal and can ship"

I asked if it includes the ignition coil and stator.

He told me it has everything I need to add electric start and charging except the battery. I don't see the stator or ignition coil. Wonder if I could use the stock 212 ignition coil with this flywheel?

I don't have another hemi to put this on. And I'm not exactly sure what I need to make it work.

I have very little experience with electric start engines. I may be wasting money, but it seems like a deal.

What you think?

Attachments

• kfw.jpg
    kfw.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 18