Predator 212cc and Tav2

NJCartMan

Reaction score
Hi Guy’s I’m new here and new to go carts. I have a question about a non hemi predator 212cc and a comet tav2 torque converter. Both items are brand new but the TC will not go flush with the back of the engine. I notched out the oil engine fill cap but it’s still not flush. I googled and watched every video out there and I’ve come across nothing on this issue. I called comet and spoke with a gentleman and he said cut out that piece of spline to make it sit flush. I’m building this for my daughters 10th birthday, and yes I will be riding it when she’s not around. Has anyone come across this issue before?
Thank You!

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Very common fitment problem. Comet and some others may have differing backplates, but the adaptation should be the same when that problem arises. Certainly has been with the cheaper Chinese ones I've been using.
If there are "ribs" or "splines" from the casting on the backside (engine side) of the backplate for reinforcement, they may butt up against some part of an engine, or of a frame after install. The cure is using some form of metal cutting/grinding device (4.5" angle grinder for me) to cut away and/or grind down the parts of the ribs that are preventing fitment.
Some people have even sliced off big pieces of the backplate itself, just not cutting through the jackshaft hole of course.
This must be what the Comet rep was telling you.

NJCartMan

Reaction score
The torque converter may not sit perfectly flush with the engine and thats ok. If its really bothering you, just shim the converter out a 1/4 inch. Pictures would be helpful.
Thank You Opmini! That’s exactly what I was considering, putting spacers in.

NJCartMan

Reaction score
Very common fitment problem. Comet and some others may have differing backplates, but the adaptation should be the same when that problem arises. Certainly has been with the cheaper Chinese ones I've been using.
If there are "ribs" or "splines" from the casting on the backside (engine side) of the backplate for reinforcement, they may butt up against some part of an engine, or of a frame after install. The cure is using some form of metal cutting/grinding device (4.5" angle grinder for me) to cut away and/or grind down the parts of the ribs that are preventing fitment.
Some people have even sliced off big pieces of the backplate itself, just not cutting through the jackshaft hole of course.
This must be what the Comet rep was telling you.
Thank You madprofessor! That’s exactly what the rep from Comet said. It threw me off because every video was basically mount it up and your good to go. When I’m involved it’s never the easy route.
Thanks Again

NJCartMan

Reaction score
The torque converter may not sit perfectly flush with the engine and thats ok. If its really bothering you, just shim the converter out a 1/4 inch. Pictures would be helpful.
Opmini I’m sorry I forgot to mention I’m working on it at my buddies house since it’s a surprise for my daughters birthday. I don’t have any pictures but I will get some.
Thanks Again!