Predator 212 Intake push rod keeps popping out.

Api

Reaction score
Hi there. I am a new member here. Me and my 15 year old son have built a few go karts and mini bikes thru the last few years. Currently we have a mini bike with a Predator 212 that started to loose power and then shut off. After some investigation we found out that the intake rod is out. Was told to upgrade the valve springs to 22lbs after replacing them we have set the and reset the valve lash to .003 while following all the steps and engine at tdc. After we put her back together the engine will run but bogs out if we try to run it full throttle and same thing happens again.ADB1AE40-7D47-4D78-AF34-9EC5FF5F2499.jpeg What am I missing here?

redflash

Reaction score
are you meaning "push rod" ? It would seem that your rockers and the whole valve train is not aligned correctly. There is no reason the pushrod would fall out of the indent in the rocker.....if it was all aligned properly.

Da Flash

Api

Reaction score
are you meaning "push rod" ? It would seem that your rockers and the whole valve train is not aligned correctly. There is no reason the pushrod would fall out of the indent in the rocker.....if it was all aligned properly.

Da Flash
Sorry yes push rod 😂

Api

Reaction score
Valves aren’t sticking checked that. Put her back together tonight set the valve lash at 004 had the boy ride up and down the street. Works and runs fine when driving around at medium throttle. But as soon as I tell him to open it up a bit it start to sputter and hesitate. Which leads to eventually the engine shutting itself off and having the same push rod popped out.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Could be just me, could be the pic angle, could be invisible gremlins, but it looks to my eye like there's no circlip on the right side of the intake rocker arm. If you don't have all (4 total) circlips on the (2) rocker arms in place, the pushrods will definitely jump out. Had it happen to me, found the missing (intake) circlip down the pushrod passage, sitting on the lifter guide plate. Had to go to auto parts store to get a telescoping pocket magnet skinny enough to get down there, brought it out in 2 seconds flat. 7mm by the way.
Amazon.com: 400pcs 304 Stainless Steel E-Clip Assortment Kit E-Clip External Retaining Ring Assortment Set 14 Sizes Circlip ( 1.5 -15mm ) (400SILVER) : Industrial & Scientific

Api

Reaction score
Could be just me, could be the pic angle, could be invisible gremlins, but it looks to my eye like there's no circlip on the right side of the intake rocker arm. If you don't have all (4 total) circlips on the (2) rocker arms in place, the pushrods will definitely jump out. Had it happen to me, found the missing (intake) circlip down the pushrod passage, sitting on the lifter guide plate. Had to go to auto parts store to get a telescoping pocket magnet skinny enough to get down there, brought it out in 2 seconds flat. 7mm by the way.
Amazon.com: 400pcs 304 Stainless Steel E-Clip Assortment Kit E-Clip External Retaining Ring Assortment Set 14 Sizes Circlip ( 1.5 -15mm ) (400SILVER) : Industrial & Scientific
The clips are all in I double checked. And they are all in after the push rod pops out. Just wondering if the valve lash can be set higher and maybe this won’t happen??

redflash

Reaction score
When I said alignment I meant geometry. If the rockers are tipped up too much , or tipped down...the geometry is off and the push rods will pop out because they are not "Square in the detent. too short or too long ( incorrect) push rods would cause that. I'm guessing that some one prior to you, put in either the incorrect length push rods.....or you have a bent push rod , which would shorten the rod and offset the correct geometry.

Da Flash

Api

Reaction score
When I said alignment I meant geometry. If the rockers are tipped up too much , or tipped down...the geometry is off and the push rods will pop out because they are not "Square in the detent. too short or too long ( incorrect) push rods would cause that. I'm guessing that some one prior to you, put in either the incorrect length push rods.....or you have a bent push rod , which would shorten the rod and offset the correct geometry.

Da Flash
We bought the engine new. And it ran fine rite out of the box. Had it for a year or two and then it just died one day while the son was riding. The push rods don’t look bent at all. Had them on work bench rolling around. We didn’t upgrade nothing internally. Just the springs after it did this the first time.

Api

Reaction score

Da Flash
Could it be the that I need a different lash setting on intake side then?

redflash

Reaction score
I don't think a different lash setting would help......Here's what's left.....Call the priest of go power sports......and hold an exorcism,
the boogieman has infected your motor.................................sorry that was no help !

Da Flash

Api

Reaction score
I don't think a different lash setting would help......Here's what's left.....Call the priest of go power sports......and hold an exorcism,
the boogieman has infected your motor.................................sorry that was no help !

Da Flash
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 that was the best answer yet. I love it. I think we will just buy a new motor and save this one to figure out some other time. Or keep it for parts. The boy wants one of them predator ghosts engines but don’t know much about them. And it looks like way too much power for a mini bike. Either way. Thanks for the help.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 that was the best answer yet.
Agreed. Now for what's real, throw that motor in the corner if you want to, but know you're leaving us hanging. I really want an answer on this, it'll help others down the road. Once it's established that the pushrods are the stock length and not bent, and all of the other parts (except the 22# springs) are stock, it gets real simple.
A stock motor won't just fly apart for no reason. Something is sticking that changes the relationship of motion in the rotating assembly and/or the extraneous (head) components. If a pushrod jumps out with an even stronger (22#) set of springs set at the correct (.003") lash, then something is definitely sticking. Unless you put a Dodge 440 Magnum camshaft in it. I'm talking about stock (except 22# springs) parts here.
That motor should be stripped down, stripped of all lubes, and have all components measured with a micrometer after getting the correct measurements from the manufacturer. Or be sent to me, I'll pay the shipping. You won't get it back.

Api

Reaction score
Oh this mystery is not over friends. I’m a type of guy I can’t just leave something like this in the corner. We will get to the bottom of this. I promise. What I meant by grabbing a new one and throwing it in the mini bike is to keep my 15 year old son happy because he loves that thing. I will keep you guys updated.

jmaack

Reaction score
My memory isn't the greatest but aren't the rockers the same for intake and exhaust? Swap them around relash and see of problem moves to exhaust pushrod.

Reactions: Api

redflash

Reaction score
for $23.00 you can buy a pair of "Champion rockers", they are mucho stronger and better built....should eliminate all these issues.

Da Flash

Api

Reaction score
for $23.00 you can buy a pair of "Champion rockers", they are mucho stronger and better built....should eliminate all these issues.

Da Flash
Everything I see online for champion rockers is for non hemi. Any idea where I can order a pair???