predator 212 hard to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

tundrabeagle3

Reaction score
My predator 212 is hard to start when it is cold. Every time I start it i need to take out the plug clean it put it back in an pull like crazy. My mods to the engine are a 14 cc head, k&n type air filter, header, and a 90 main jet. It is easy to start when it is hot and runs good . It is just a real pain in the *** to start when it is cold. Anyone have this problem before or have any ideas ? thanks
tundrabeagle

cumminsbayou4x4

Reaction score
possible to lean or may be to rich if you need to clean the plug every time. Do you have to choke it to start it when it is hot? i know the grey hounds you do but they fixed it with the predators. Mine starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every time

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Let's start with that plug thing. You say you have to clean it. Why- is it particularly sooty, or wet? If it's wet, it's getting too much fuel and flooding. Begin by verifying that the float needle is seating correctly. Does this happen with the choke on? have you tried no choke or only part choke? I have a Briggs awhile ago that (until I fixed it) the only way it wanted to start cold was a very quick blip on the choke. Do it for more than about a second, and she'd flood.

tundrabeagle3

Reaction score
My plug is a sooty black , I pull it with the choke on a few times and then pull it without the choke and give it gas. I ripped the pullstart cord and replaced it with a longer one it seems to have fixed my problem because now I don't have to pull it to the very end or pull it as much , also I dont have to clean the plug anymore . thanks
tundrabeagle

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Honestly? A longer pull cord may mask the problem, but it didn't solve the problem. I mean, if you're happy with that, then fine enough, leave it as is. But I think there's more.

Status
Not open for further replies.