Possible future build idea 6x6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Been wanting to ask somethings in the last couple weeks but haven't, mostly because I have a nasty tendency of changing my mind before I even start, which ends up ticking a lot of people off, especially if you haven't started making it, such as this case. Plus considering this will be on the back burner for a while, I thought why waste other's times asking if it may not even be built? But I might as well ask just in case I do end up pursuing this build.

I, like my dad enjoy hunting and ice fishing. While we were out hunting this year, he told me that he would want something like a side by side to help get around in the areas we hunt, or help carry his portable ice fish house out on a lake with all his stuff (auger, fishing tackle, 20lb propane bottle and heater, etc). Now while he could drive the truck out on the ice, long as it was 20" or more, sometimes that's just not feasible. What he had in mind was something along the lines of a John Deere Gator. Now being that those things are stupid expensive new and used for the most part, I figured I build him something similar, might not be as high quality and refined but it would work.

Now my thoughts for it,

Solid front axle that is short with either a ujoint or cv joint on a swing arm with a sprocket that I can use to make it all wheel drive. For making it AWD, I would use the basic concept of that 2 speed gearbox that a member built on here years ago, with some sort of rod and lever to lock it in place when more traction is needed and unlock it when it isn't.

The rear end is a bit interesting, I plan on making it a walking axle. Being as I want to make this a 6x6 for a bit more traction for pulling and going over downed trees in the woods and for the cool factor, the 4 tires will be paired on to a beam that will pivot in the middle. No springs on it at all. Each wheel will be on its own short live axle with a sprocket and brake, or at least 2 will be. In the middle where the walking axle pivots will be the jackshaft that goes to the transmission.

For the transmission I want to use a Peerless 700. I know I'm not going to get anywhere too fast, that's not the plan if the top speed ends up being 15mph, I'd be more than satisfied. The replacement 700s that I find have 2 output shafts. My thought is, run one chain to the front axle and one to the rears, all geared the same so there isn't any issues.

Now I know this thing will not be remotely light and may not be easy to push so, I'm planning on mounting a 2500lb ATV winch to the front just in case. The engine will be either a Predator 420 or something from Carroll Stream. Now this may seem stupid, but I find it to be a bit more necessary, it's going to have either a 3 wire generic alternator or a 1 wire, but not much more than 40 amps will be needed. I know a large battery could supplement for lights, but it may end up being used to power a battery ice auger.

I know the input of the Peerless 700 is on top as it was used mostly with vertical shaft engines, but I plan on doing a mule drive setup with a manual foot controlled clutch.

I had originally thought about using something like 44" live axles in the rear, the problem is, I want more independent suspension than what full length live axles would give, as well as needing the flexibility to make it wider or shorter as needed to meet criteria.

This is just me spit balling ideas about it and looking for some feed back if this sounds like a solid idea or not and how I could critique it.

I'll toss in a pic of a walking axle for those who don't know what one is, I honestly didn't know they were called this.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
This sounds ambitious and a little crazy. Therefore it is a great idea. Love the walking axle too. 2 pivots on each side that are mounted to the driven axle, continuous chain drives to the 2 wheels.

Attachments

• wax.jpg
    wax.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 115

jezter6

Reaction score
Don't know why I pictured the concept slightly differently. I'm a noob, so don't take my word for nothing...but I like spitting out concepts :)

Excuse the crappy drawing :p

Attachments

• 2017-11-01_13-05-45.png
    2017-11-01_13-05-45.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 3

jezter6

Reaction score

This is what I'm picturing now, as I'm interested in building a small "plow truck" cart. This track over wheels kinda kit looks likeit woulddo awesome with your walking axle setup.

jezter6

Reaction score
Here's another interesting concept idea for consideration.

I couldn't find the photo of the original build, but someone made a front axle suspension with the A-arms mounted forward instead of out to the side.

Similar concept here, except moving the pivot point to one of the wheels, and letting the other one move up and down as necessary. Yes, my drawing is of a live axle which you didn't want, but again - spitballing some ideas out sounds like fun and I'd like to see the idea destroyed by gurus if it's a **** poor design.
•MERGED•
In searching around, I'm believing that it's some form of trailing arm suspension concept...but I'm still searching for the pic I wanted.

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    9.2 KB · Views: 3

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Problem with the half track idea is, tracks are expensive. I've thought many times about doing a tracked vehicle but it's more expensive than doing wheeled. If I did tracks, I'd be using Ditch Witch SK series tracks. However making the cogged drive wheel would not be an easy feat, that would have to be out sourced to a machine shop.

Similar to this but with a beam. Disregard the the gearbox on the right and imagine a jackshaft in place of the differential in the middle, with a sprocket.

jezter6

Reaction score
That's why I was suggesting the track-over-wheel kind of setup, where it's not quite a half track unless you A) want it to be and 2) can take it off for summer/grass/light duty, but put it on if you need that extra traction.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
That's why I was suggesting the track-over-wheel kind of setup, where it's not quite a half track unless you A) want it to be and 2) can take it off for summer/grass/light duty, but put it on if you need that extra traction.
Yeah that is true and is a possibility I could implement.
Now you've done it!! I'm off to buy me a new mig welder!!!!! :D Maybe the.......

Lincoln Pro Mig 180
If I had everything I needed right now as far as metal goes, I'd be building it on my days off.

jezter6

Reaction score
Keeping it only to a half track/4 wheel drive allows the front to steer without having to play with any sort of "tank" drive system.

I don't know how well it would turn, bet it's a boat...

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Keeping it only to a half track/4 wheel drive allows the front to steer without having to play with any sort of "tank" drive system.

I don't know how well it would turn, bet it's a boat...
If it had a differential, probably not much wider than it would be with a live axle.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Anyone know if 40 chain would be fine or if 50 would be better for this? If I had to guess, if we end up using it to move some wood around for camping, it might be about 1500lbs or more fully loaded. Rather not snap a chain while in the middle of nowehere.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Fortunately Doc Sprocket had posted a chart showing what sprockets work on the 700 in a older thread on here., it's only 40 and 41chain. I had planned on 40 just because I know it would work, but now I'm set to use it. According to him on his post the 700 likes to be overdrive with a larger pulley on the engine and doesn't take well to high torque, but does like higher rpm. So the final drive ratio can be dictated with the output sprocket and any ratios from the jackshaft to the drive wheels.

wardog

Reaction score
My 3x3 is basically one half of what you are talking about, and it handles great..... still turns plenty sharp too, even on pavement. Also a well designed walking beam rear is a GAME CHANGER. It helps with control and traction, but best of all is how it improves the ride, sooooooo smooth.

anickode

Reaction score
If you want to go real wacky, use a tri-star drive, with 3 chain driven wheels spaced 120° around the drive axle. They roll along till they reach an obstacle too big for a single wheel to overcome, and the whole assembly flips forward making it "climb" out/over.

Attachments

• 300px-TriStarAnimated.gif
    300px-TriStarAnimated.gif
    503.8 KB · Views: 64
Status
Not open for further replies.