• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

possible 125 for 450 trade ?s

Status
Not open for further replies.

tundrabeagle3

Reaction score
Hey guys I found a guy on craigs list who might trade his 03 crf450r for my 05 kx125 . It sounds like a good deal but I am a little uneasy about the trade. The reason being that he said he has a new top end on it but says its leaking from the water pump weep hole and the oil drain bolt. I know that they are cheap to fix but adds to the uneasy feeling I am having. Because a new top end is like $500 but the seal and oil drain washer is like a $20 or $30 fix.
It doesn't make sense that some one would spend all that money to fix the top end but not spend $30 to fix the leaks. This make me question if thats really whats wrong with it. My bike is in great mechanical condition , has a new top end , pc exhuast system , ect and has no problems or leaks. So what I wanted to ask is what you guys think about it and what is the worse case scenario for the leaks on the 450r. Thanks guys for spending the time to read my long post. I look forward to reading your responses.

OzFab

Reaction score
I'm in two minds: On one hand, he may have had the top end fixed to get it running but that broke the budget so the other minor problems were left for another time. Now he's over the bike & just wants to get rid of it.

On the other hand, he may be trying to rip you off...

The old saying caveat emptor (latin for let the buyer beware) comes into play...

Another thing comes to mind; Occams razor states "the simplest explanation is usually the correct one" or, in simple terms, go with your gut. If you have an uneasy feeling about it, avoid it...

tundrabeagle3

Reaction score
Thanks guys I appreciate the replies . Ive wanted a crf450 for a while so I am going to ask him for the receipts on the top end change. Make sure its legit , if he doesnt have any proof of a top end change then I am not going to trade.

FatCat

2 stroke Addict!
Reaction score
I agree go with your gut. What's leaking from the drain plug? Oil I assume? Find out what's to changing the water pump parts before digging deeper. It may be a serious project. Any bottom end work? 04-05's oil hole on the big end of the rod was too small. Causes overheating of the bearing. You'll want to know if it has the updated crank. Later years it was solved. This trade sounds too good to be true. I hope it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.