Polaris trailboss 325 clutch to predator 420

Vitaminfeeder

Reaction score
Hi guys

Please help me with your knowledge
How do I fit a driver clutch from polaris trailboss 325 onto 1 inch straight shaft of predator 420?

And polaris trailboss 325 driven clutch onto a straight keyd jackshaft that normally takes 40 series driven clutch

I really want to go with polaris clutches as hoping for more reliability, and belts lasting.

Anyone solved a riddle like that before?
I'd appreciate all smart heads here

Vitaminfeeder

Reaction score
This is the one I want to get rid of 40 torque converter and fit with polaris stuff.
We built this with my two boys, and 40 converter is not really enough for it. Instead of going to bigger converter, I'd rather try fitting polaris clutches

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Going to Polaris clutches is uncharted territory here. If you are having trouble with your belt or clutches maybe your gearing is too high and you need to gear it lower. You are using a Genuine Comet belt aren’t you? The cheap generic belts don’t hold up.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
First of all
...them is some SWEET seats :drool5:

"More reliability"?
What issues are you guys having?

AFAIU the 40 series "is" the proper TAV for a 420
...& with a genuine belt, you should be "good ta go" :cheers2:

I agree with Denny (here) :thumbsup:
What gear ratio are you running?
...with what size tires?

Vitaminfeeder

Reaction score
I counted only once and counted 71 tooth but for what I remember buying the sprocket, it has to be 72 tooth

Attachments

• 20220618_142447.jpg
    20220618_142447.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2

Vitaminfeeder

Reaction score
Belt would last a week, two at best.
The torque converter is Amazon's one.
Heard they are notorious for sticking, and therefore eating belts.

May be just getting proper 40 clutches like from gopowersports.com could fix it?

I live in Royse city Tx, so visiting their store is doable even though all the way on the other side of this huge city called DFW, Dallas Fort Worth

Vitaminfeeder

Reaction score
With just 40 clutches it would hit 52-55 mph on a gravel road, we recently got our road paved, no more dust from passing vehicles whew!
At least we had a Hwy with 60 speed limit just 300 yards from us, but our unpaved piece of road was giving us whiffs of dust every time someone passed. Now finally all good civilized way.
I haven't tried what speed it can hit on a paved road but probably around the same

Vitaminfeeder

Reaction score
With regular 40 clutches I hear people complaining on YouTube quite often.
Having to take apart, clean, lube etc.
Even new driver, few months, and people seem to complain of sticking.
For what I understand, polaris driver is vastly superior with this, not much issues.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Are you using a Genuine Comet belt or are you using a Chinese one? What is the small gear tooth count? I got a feeling from those speeds ratio is too high.

Vitaminfeeder

Reaction score
The converter came with two Lil sprockets that go with the driven clutch side. I use the bigger sprocket, never tried the smaller one even once.

The belts, used tons of cheap ones, used comet only once, very good belt, but I've run into one that seems to be even tougher than comet, lasts slightly more, and is cheap, Lostar branded on it,
It indeed seems to beat everything I used

Attachments

• 20220618_192913.jpg
    20220618_192913.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1

karl

Reaction score
Nice kart, can we have a picture of the clutch setup?
When setup as comet intended it should be able handle just about anything a stock to mild 420 can throw at it.
I hope it's not one of those backplate units...

But 55mph is asking too much for the kart weight and motor at governed RPMs, changing to that smaller sprocket up front might alleviate
the excessive belt wear. Most of the belt wear is probably occurring as you trying to take off, not once the kart is moving.

Vitaminfeeder

Reaction score
I used normal 40 driver and driven clutches
Then switched to magnum driver, and clubcar precedent driven clutch
Some improvement by that, buy not ideal.
You have me really thinking with that smaller converter gear. The whole thing could be in it!