Polaris clutch and FNR transmission

70Cobra

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm wanting to install these on my offroad go kart which has a 228 small block. I see there are crank shaft adapters to go from 3/4 to 1 inch. Then there is an adapter from 1 inch to the 30mm tapered that the Polaris CVT uses.

That would be a really quick and cheap way to do this instead of having a machine shop fab it into 1 adapter. I'm just wondering if that would be 1 too many adapters?

Do these adapters handle decent power? I think I'm around the 17hp mark.

I have a Comet 30 CVT but it is limiting me to around 4000rpm and my engine will spin to 7000 safely. I could get the juggernaut but I would still not have reverse, which I would like. I also have a Polaris quad with this CVT and trans and it is well made and over built. Plus you can pick them up for a reasonable cost.

70Cobra

Reaction score
After some more research I have found an adapter on ebay that goes from 3/4 to 30mm tapered. I asked the seller how it would handle the power.

Would still like some feedback from those who have used these crank shaft adapters.

70Cobra

Reaction score
Never had a tapered shaft engine before. I need one for an old starter pack that I have though.
Polaris CVT and a lot of golf carts use a 30mm tapered shaft.

Here is the adapter.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Yup, I was an EZ-GO dealer for 12 years. But you can’t bolt a generator head to those engines. Polaris and EZ-GO both used Fuji designed and built engines for a while!!

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Just get a Comet 780 for a 1" shaft. Pretty much the same belt width of most Polaris gearbox driven, 1 3/16" width. Less hassle than trying to get a tapered driver pulley to fit on a straight keyed shaft. You'll need to get a larger engine like a 301 or 420 or any engine with a 1" keyed shaft, but it will work quite well.