Polaris 600 triple 2 stroke to Polaris Sportsman 500 transmission

tundra2000

Reaction score
Like the title says I'm planning on using a 2010 Polaris Sportsman 500 transmission that has high, low, reverse and neutral, problem I'm kinda running into is knowledge on what secondary clutch I can use. I woul like to us the one ment for the 600 triple but it's not spline and requires a bigger input shaft so I have the original Sportsman 500 secondary clutch but it's smaller in diameter by about 1in and width is little smaller so I'm not sure if I can use it with the 600 triple clutch or if it just requires a different size belt.
Any info helps and this is all hoping the transmission can hold up to the power and rpm.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You should use the clutch for the 600 engine. What I would do is mount the secondary on a separate jack shaft. Then run a chain from the shaft to the gearbox. Either that or get a special sleeve made to adapt the smaller shaft to the larger driven.

tundra2000

Reaction score
You should use the clutch for the 600 engine. What I would do is mount the secondary on a separate jack shaft. Then run a chain from the shaft to the gearbox. Either that or get a special sleeve made to adapt the smaller shaft to the larger driven.
Yeah I might have too, I'll start by seeing if it's possible to get a sleeve made otherwise like you said running the jack shaft and connecting it through a chain.
Wasn't sure if there was a company or someone that knows if there's a adapter or secondary clutch that fits that gear box for a sled motor. I think from what I'm finding is atv have a p90 clutch and sleds have p85 which is bigger. Other than that not finding much.
I don't have to absolutely use this gear box buts it just works out nice since it has reverse and 4wd option.

Snaker

Reaction score
You should be on about the CVT: ATV=P90 and 600=P85
Another thing is that the 600, depending on version, is approx 95-105 hp
About double the hp of the ATV

The smaller hp Polaris sleds used the P90
That might be better all around for your setup.

Cindi_PDX

Reaction score
The Driver and Driven clutch need to be from the same series (I.E. both from the Snowmobile or both from the Sportsman). I think the easiest route would be to use the snowmobile set and make an adapter from the driven Sportsman clutch. The older Sportsman driven clutch has a steel shaft with the internal splines you need. remove the aluminum clutch housing that is cast around the end of the shaft, (don't shorten that shaft as you need to save internal threads). Use a lathe to clean up the shaft if needed.
IIRC the Snowmobile driven clutch needs a 1" shaft with a keyway. You may need an adapter sleeve welded over the sportsman cluch shaft, I don't remember the diameter of the clutch shaft.

Attachments

• 1997 Sportsman driven clutch.jpg
    1997 Sportsman driven clutch.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 3

tundra2000

Reaction score
The Driver and Driven clutch need to be from the same series (I.E. both from the Snowmobile or both from the Sportsman). I think the easiest route would be to use the snowmobile set and make an adapter from the driven Sportsman clutch. The older Sportsman driven clutch has a steel shaft with the internal splines you need. remove the aluminum clutch housing that is cast around the end of the shaft, (don't shorten that shaft as you need to save internal threads). Use a lathe to clean up the shaft if needed.
IIRC the Snowmobile driven clutch needs a 1" shaft with a keyway. You may need an adapter sleeve welded over the sportsman cluch shaft, I don't remember the diameter of the clutch shaft.
Awesome thanks for that, I'll be looking into doing that.
I did come across one company that supposedly makes or has a clutch that would match up ( p85 with splines to fit ) but waiting on a response.

tundra2000

Reaction score
You should be on about the CVT: ATV=P90 and 600=P85
Another thing is that the 600, depending on version, is approx 95-105 hp
About double the hp of the ATV

The smaller hp Polaris sleds used the P90
That might be better all around for your setup.
Believe it's a 1996 600, I have that and arctic cat 550 2 stroke too.
Might be overkill but wanted the bigger engine for fun haha